Long Reef kings

howies

Planned ahead this time as I wanted to get out early on Wednesday, so Tuesday afternoon I headed out to west head and loaded up on yakkas, tried for some squid but no luck. To keep them alive I hang a clothes basket of the swim platform overnight  It keeps them fresh for the morning.

4.30 I was up and out heading round barenjoey headland at 5.45, arrIved at long reef around 6.30 as the sun came up there was already 6 or so kayaks trolling around the wall with a few hits as I anchored up. I burleyed up and dropped a snapper rig down with some pillys and Lunds squid and instantly got smashed and lost my rig.

I set up the heavy leader and sent down a yakka and after about 5min that was smashed but no hook up, the next one landed me a 75cm king, at this point I sent down the squid on another rod,  every time I was smashed instantly and Reefed which I would think were large hoodlums with the fight they put up. I caught a couple of rats too, Now out of squid I went back to yakkas which I landed a few more in the 60-70cm mark, the biggest king at 77 was hooked on a micro jig which I foolishly used on my egi rod which resulted in the rod snapping in half and me fighting the fish with the butt end with one eyelet left and the the other end down near the Kingy, I had 4 legal on ice now in just over an hour .

By this time around 20 boats had arrived mostly charters who were downrigging and drifting the wall.

In the burley slick I had created you could see the kings swimming underneath it so I floated out some pillys unweighted and they were getting taken too but by now only rats were around.

packed up and headed back by 11.30

intotal I landed 12 kept 4 67-77cm and was reefed 3 times.

after years of chasing kings and only catching one legal so far, this was one morning I will never forget.

IMG_2331.JPG

• 2 weeks later...