Triple donut..WTF

Niall

Just wondering if it's me, the weather or the time of year, but I've just been out fishing 3 days running this weekend (shore based, lures, mainly harbour bays) for a big bag of sweet FA.

Thought I was gonna be all over it now my exams are over, but the fish just seem to be ignoring my lures. 

Rose Bay is teeming with Blackfish on the high tide these days.  Pity they don't eat lures.

Pretty sure the flathead I've managed to catch this winter have been flukes.  I reckon my lure has fallen on top of their heads.

I was down at Wooloomooloo today fishing off the wharf and round Harry's and there's loads of bream but they're just not interested. 

The only thing I've been noticing is the amount of little bait fish in the water. Pretty sure they're called "eyes".  The water's full of 'em.  Are the fish just feasting on those all day?

Anyone else had rotten luck this weekend or is it just me?

Nope, I've had the same as you. One banjo ray in three trips.

The way I look at it is fish are cold blooded, so unless they are involved in active growth, migration or breeding then the don't need to eat much. In winter their need for food is so low they can just mill about, feeding only rarely. You can see them, they look normal, but they don't need to feed. Winter shutdown.

the presence of those schools of eyes suggests a great pelagic season this summer. Let's hope. Anyone else remember 1999-2000 - the schools of bait were so extensive it even made the SMH and the television news.

24 minutes ago, Niall said:

Rose Bay is teeming with Blackfish on the high tide these days.  Pity they don't eat lures.

same, same - nearly a month of doughnuts.

Luderick though .... don't forget they eat weed flys ......

Was in the middle of a salmon bust up last Thursday but could not get a bight think they were eating glass frys (very small hatched fish) This was on the way home earlier fished plastics for zero but did get some grunters when I swithched to bait with a bread berly going.

7 hours ago, Niall said:

Are you seeing the blackfish?  Around the ferry wharf or along the seawall at high tide?

Winter fishing in the harbour is best done on the rising tide as the warmer ocean water pushes in. Use bread burley and peeled pieces of banana prawns under a float. When the fish start hooking up switch to lures if u like. Tight lines.

Ozzybass - they're all along the wall but they seem to like any of the spots where trees are overhanging.

They're pretty easy to spot if you've got some polarised sunnies on.  You spot them lurking out the back at the edges of the weedbeds.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  

Roll on spring!!

There's occasionally some blokes out there trying their luck with varying results.  I don't think you'd be in any danger of crowding anyone out.  

It would have been perfect with the southerlies over the weekend.  You'd only have to drop your float in the water and wait as the wind pushes it over to the fish.  

I've never seen a blackfish anywhere even near the ferry wharf.

I've never tried my hand at blackfishing before.  If you ever head that way I'd love to tag along and learn the ropes.  Looks like a good winter fishing pursuit. 

Yep the fish can go a little off the bite but more often it's just being in the wrong  place. Was interested in hearing a report on sonic tagging in the Clyde river on how whiting, Jews and a few other fish simply moved to different locations through different stages of the tide. These fish movements would see good sized schools of fish travel several km up and down the river system everyday.

Im seeing big dusky flathead every time we head out to photograph kingfishers from our kayaks. These big fish seem to only be in water less than 1ft deep and preffering the darker coloured bottoms with plenty of sunlight, this to me is rather like reptiles finding the warmest areas to bask. These shallow warm areas are also holding lots of small bait, mullet and hundreds of bream, they aren't just sitting lazy either but smashing any insect that hits the surface.

As for the salmon, they will happily smash very small 5g white lures, I tend to replace the tiny treble with a better sized single hook. You will need to drop down to very light line to get enough range from the cast but once hooked on light gear you will have far more fun than targeting them on 10-20lb tackle.

I love this time of the year to fish, for me it's the most productive for gummy shark, snapper, salmon, tailor etc and when I lived in Sydney winter was my main time to target jew.

Just to add, winter is the time we spend heaps of time in the water targeting lobsters, this time underwater gives us far more idea of what fish to target and where.

Edited by JonD

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Niall said:

There's occasionally some blokes out there trying their luck with varying results.  I don't think you'd be in any danger of crowding anyone out.  

It would have been perfect with the southerlies over the weekend.  You'd only have to drop your float in the water and wait as the wind pushes it over to the fish.  

I've never seen a blackfish anywhere even near the ferry wharf.

I've never tried my hand at blackfishing before.  If you ever head that way I'd love to tag along and learn the ropes.  Looks like a good winter fishing pursuit. 

Sure - PM me if you want.  My blackfish efforts will taper off soon as its bass season!  I still want to put in a few more blackfish sessions though.

Edited by Ozzybass
add more