Alternatives to plywood flooring

Brainfish

Does anyone have any experience with replacing the plywood floor of a tinny with a lighter and waterproof material. Ive just been to the brissy boat show and saw a tinny with some kind of synthetic floor about the same thickness as ply but lighter. Of course there was no one around to answer any questions at the show. Not impressed!

I called the mob today ...  1200x2400x10mm  $480+gst  ...so this stuff is in the realm of planning for a second mortgage.  I am back to plywood and fibreglass/gelcoat wrap as best approach for me.

Cheers

Zoran

Fiberglass will add a lot of weight. I'd treat the wood with a penetrating epoxy resin like Evadure and then paint it with an epoxy marine paint such as Norglass Ship Shape. The wood will probably be better protected from moisture (and subsequent dry rot) this way.

I replaced my floor with marine grade plate ally, Not really lighter but is certainly more waterproof!

My father in law makes signs for a living and almost had me convinced to go the foamex/celuka foam board route. I played around with samples of the material for a while (left it submerged in petrol to see if out disintegrate etc) and it stood up to continuous petrol submersion for a week without melting/softening. Being PVC based, acetone would destroy this stuff though (but unless the missus is painting her nails while your fishing, i guess your pretty safe there).

I guess i just didn't have the guts to pull the trigger and use the board (i opted for something tried and tested). But the stuff seems to tick most if not all the boxes for a marine floor (i was playing with 15 mm board and it seemed very very rigid).

here is a couple of links:
https://www.cphgroup.com.au/store/c-144-substrates/c-443-celuka-board/c-444-endurex-hardened-pvc-sheet/p-607-endurex-hardened-pvc-sheet-white

https://www.allstarplastics.com.au/materials/pvc/

Edited by SquidMarks