Clifton gardens - eating fish safe?

fishoo

Hi all,

New to fishing in Sydney.

I went the other day to Clifton gardens and caught few slimy mackerel. I saw a lot of people taking them home for eating. I was wondering is the fish safe to eat?

Since its connected to Parramatta river? I know you can't really eat fish from the parra river, I wanted to know if this would apply to slimy mackerel at Clifton gardens. Maybe some of the veterans can shed some light. (I'm fairly new to fishing and this forum, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section. Cheers!

I would say as long as you not eating it everyday you will be fine, I don't think Mackeral travel far up the river to where most of the pollution is.

they say anything easy of the Harbour bridge is fine, I fish round there and have eaten them with out an issues.

7 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

I would say as long as you not eating it everyday you will be fine, I don't think Mackeral travel far up the river to where most of the pollution is.

they say anything easy of the Harbour bridge is fine, I fish round there and have eaten them with out an issues.

Yeh if eating the fish causes problems, it would probably be long term.

Check the DPI advice on their website. There are recommendations based on the studies they have done on fish taken from Sydney Harbour.

Generally I just try to minimise the amount of fish I eat west of the bridge and try not to worry too much east of the bridge.

The bridge itself is an arbitrary marker though it is definitely true that there is more pollution the further up the river you go.

Certain locations have their own localised pollution issues too, so make sure you know where you're eating from if you do choose to take fish home. For example, bream from certain spots in Middle Harbour have a high count of microplastics in their bodies that are passed on when you consume the meat.

Do your research and make your own decision. :)

• 4 weeks later...