Clifton Garden Float Fishing

Jackey

Hi Everyone,

I have been to Clifton Garden multiple times and I have caught breams and the occassional snappers here and there.

I am now after a different kind of fish: the salmons, the kingies, the bonitos etc.

I have seen those who were more successful with these kinds of fishes were all ISO float-fishers. 

Although I don't have an ISO rod, I figure I could still tie a floating rig. Only issue is my bait is completely untouched. I am assuming that it comes to depth as cast distance, time-of-day and bait-type is the same. Only factors I could assume is that I have my line at roughly 4-5m deep and burley (my line is near, but not exactly in it)

I am starting to think that I am getting this all wrong. Does anyone have suggestion on depth or anything otherwise that may increase my chances?

Thanks in advance

Salmon and Bonnie's will usually be chasing surface bait, so depth should be between 2-3. I'm assuming you are using pilchards, so count the kingies out unless you are one of the luckies who get a bi-catch. 

Then it all comes down to right place at right time. Float fishing is kind of like bingo, you'll know when your number comes up 😁

8 hours ago, Jackey said:

Only issue is my bait is completely untouched. I am assuming that it comes to depth as cast distance, time-of-day and bait-type is the same.

What is the bait??

If you are targeting kings I would be floating live bait.

Salmon on the other hand if they are around will take almost anything!

8 hours ago, Lungfai76 said:

Salmon and Bonnie's will usually be chasing surface bait, so depth should be between 2-3. I'm assuming you are using pilchards, so count the kingies out unless you are one of the luckies who get a bi-catch. 

Then it all comes down to right place at right time. Float fishing is kind of like bingo, you'll know when your number comes up 😁

Awesome, thanks. I knew depth has something to do with it. Guess my number has yet to come.

46 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

What is the bait??

If you are targeting kings I would be floating live bait.

Salmon on the other hand if they are around will take almost anything!

I have used anywhere from prawns, pilchards, herbed chickens and yellowtail slices.

I will try live bait (whether yellowtail or squids) when I can get my hands on them next time.

Tried squidding on Saturday, off the wharf, no luck.

Speaking of which, Saturday was bonitos galore, and i was using the very bait a fellow was using (pilchards). He landed 5, i had nothing. So he gave me 1 of his.

Edited by Jackey
Extra information

8 minutes ago, Jackey said:

I have used anywhere from prawns, pilchards, herbed chickens and yellowtail slices.

I will try live bait (whether yellowtail or squids) when I can get my hands on them next time.

Tried squidding on Saturday, off the wharf, no luck.

Speaking of which, Saturday was bonitos galore, and i was using the very bait a fellow was using (pilchards). He landed 5, i had nothing. So he gave me 1 of his.

You never know, what will work one day wont the next.

It also pays to have some metal casting lures in the kit & some SP's & jigheads.

Don't always rely on baits!

Dead fresh squid, cut into strips will also work.

My personal favourite that has proven super reliable is the humble yabbie. Love or dead, doesn't matter. Though I like to fish them unweighted - if kings are in the area, they will get smashed.

1 hour ago, anthman said:

Dead fresh squid, cut into strips will also work.

My personal favourite that has proven super reliable is the humble yabbie. Love or dead, doesn't matter. Though I like to fish them unweighted - if kings are in the area, they will get smashed.

Great idea! Could squids be caught off the wharf? Where abouts? If not, where else nearby? I've only ever caught them in Parsley Bay or Yarra Bay, but that's too far from Clifton.

5 hours ago, Jackey said:

Great idea! Could squids be caught off the wharf? Where abouts? If not, where else nearby? I've only ever caught them in Parsley Bay or Yarra Bay, but that's too far from Clifton.

Most wharves will produce. Having said that, I'll phone a friend, over to you @DerekD

15 hours ago, anthman said:

Most wharves will produce. Having said that, I'll phone a friend, over to you @DerekD

Hi @anthman are we playing for the million dollar question??

Between the baths and weed beds in the area there is plenty of suitable structure for squid and you will catch them there if you put the time in.  The problem is that it could be the first few casts or fifty or a hundred. I find the cuttlefish like to hang out near the netting and pylons of the baths. Just keep covering ground with your casts to find them. There are a few patches of ribbon weed in the area so you may have have to count down the jig to keep it from snagging up on the weed. Most of the people will fish off the end of the wharf for fish. I prefer to work the sides for squid.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:03 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @anthman are we playing for the million dollar question??

Between the baths and weed beds in the area there is plenty of suitable structure for squid and you will catch them there if you put the time in.  The problem is that it could be the first few casts or fifty or a hundred. I find the cuttlefish like to hang out near the netting and pylons of the baths. Just keep covering ground with your casts to find them. There are a few patches of ribbon weed in the area so you may have have to count down the jig to keep it from snagging up on the weed. Most of the people will fish off the end of the wharf for fish. I prefer to work the sides for squid.

If I understood that right, you're referring to the area on the rightmost side of the wharf before the rocks?

If so, itll make sense that I have no action squidding in the same area everyone fishes.

3 hours ago, Jackey said:

If I understood that right, you're referring to the area on the rightmost side of the wharf before the rocks?

Yep. I've also picked up a few in the area to the left (towards the Ripples restaurant) as I'm heading out along the walkway.

People at the tip of the wharf are happy chasing fish. I'm happy fishing in all the other sections for squid.

Keep fanning out your casts. Squid move around. 15 minutes could make all the difference.

19 hours ago, DerekD said:

Yep. I've also picked up a few in the area to the left (towards the Ripples restaurant) as I'm heading out along the walkway.

People at the tip of the wharf are happy chasing fish. I'm happy fishing in all the other sections for squid.

Keep fanning out your casts. Squid move around. 15 minutes could make all the difference.

That's awesome!

Thank you, DerekD. I will give it a try at the next opportunity. I have a good feeling it.

• 4 months later...

It has been a while I came back to this post. But I want to update this for future readers.

I floated prawn about 4-5m on an overcast day, during run in tide and landed 2 trevallies and 1 leather jacket.

I also casted an orange Yamashita Egi Oh Live Search out as far as I could forward from the wharf and landed two squid at 7.30am.

20200609_180559.jpg

• Like 1