Any idea of what this is?

Sea Ranger

Ok looking at boats today.  I was looking at this fiberglass boat and saw this spot.  To me initially it looked like a screw or something had punctured the hull and was rusting.  I'm not so sure that it is rust or a screw. I had a go at scratching it with a key but didn't expose any metal like a screw or nail. This spot is about the size of a thumbnail and protrudes up and out sbout 1 to 2mm.  Any thoughts

Bear

20170906_165931.jpg

Edited by Noo2OzFish

Looks like the point of a mild steel screw pushing through the outside gel coat from inside!

looks like someone's screwed a screw into the floors inside the boat and the screw was too long, and its rusting.

put a small strong magnet on it, bet you it sticks.

Edited by Trailcraft43

Thanks for the ideas guys.  I didn't buy the boat..  I was at a dealer tonight looking at it and after I left someone else did.  

I was totally perplexed as to what could be rusting in a fiberglass boat other than a screw.   I hope it doesn't leak for them

bear

Putting a magnet over the hole might not do anything, especially if it was a "S/S" screw ....

Probably a cheap non 316 Marine Grade screw ....

Never-the-less, it still would be a good idea to do, the same with cars, that might have "BOG" over dents ....

Great_White

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

the simple answer to that is-Reason not to buy that boat!"- gees mate you are finding some beauties out there! 

This one was actually at a well know dealer.  The salesman walked away when I started questioning what this spot was.  He said "I'll give you and your wife time to look at the boat"