lake mac

rickmarlin62

well the wind killed me again...spent two hrs struggling to catch some yakkas at blackies reef fri arvo..went down coast to anchor on a jew mark when wind died from west then abruptly turned sth east at 20 knots with2.5/3 knots current runnin downhill I couldn't fish..so travelled 8 mile back to Swansea heads  ..caught two striped tuna spinning from 100 casts  1 salmon from 100 casts  they are feedin on 1inch glassies and you cant match the hatch..went back into the channel and there was salmon everywhere..they are feeding on tiny glassies and wont touch a lure...the fly guys are getting them but I gave up..i then fished all night at two of my fave jew spots in the lake with livies and squid for nada..not a touch..sat morn caught two bream 1 tarwhine 1 flattie at 50cm..lost an unseen flattie on plastic  then lost a flattie boatside that was genuine 1mtr long..shattered..twice this year  so sick of jig heads losing fish..im goin to start using stingers on my placcies....all in all sad amount of fish for 24hrs and 40 naut mile  still managed to win local comp..couple of squid and a few blue swimmers helped but not what I was hopin for...next comp maybe..i can hear broughton callin me....rick

Rick, you certainly put in the effort! Bet you still had a good time!

I admire the effort you put in.  Here I am, living a few minutes from the ramp in paradise and I sometimes just find it too hard to put the effort in and head out!  Keep waiting for perfect conditions!  (That and the appropriate signals from the missus that I've done enough around the house to ear myself a fishing trip!).  E.g. I had today off work but I knew the wind was going to pick up at about 10am, so I took care of appointments, gardening, home maintenance etc.  Maybe this weekend... but then I prefer to fish mid week... and school holidays starts this weekend and I don't like crowds... sometimes it's all too hard! lol

On 21/09/2017 at 6:01 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

yeah they are hard to tempt  I landed one and dreopped one...they are feeding on 25mm glassies..hard to copy..rick

What about the old standby... barrel sinkers painted white, running down onto a treble (or a single)? This has often worked for me when the fish are feeding on really small bait.