NSW North Coast trip

LuckyFil

Just back from a few weeks in the van up the NSW north coast. Did a bit of fishing at a few spots - Hat Head, Broken Head (near Byron) and Wooli. The lack of rain meant the water was very clear, which is pleasant for swimming but makes the fish less willing to play. Like Scratchie I struggled to get anything of note at Wooli despite hitting the creek with nippers and plastics, and later the breakwall with lures and pillies. I had some success at Broken Head with some reasonable sized trevally and a couple of tailer hitting the metal slug. Pretty sure the trevally were small GTs.  The larger ones were around 45cm and put up a good fight off the rocks. They tasted surprisingly good when filleted and skinned with a light dusting of flour on the BBQ.

IMG_0750.JPG

Managed a couple of good drummer at Hat Head on one outing but drew a blank on other trips.

IMG_0796.JPG

One plus of doing a few early sessions on the rocks is some great sunrises!

IMG_0787.JPG

If you do fish off headlands and areas where you go through bush be aware the snakes are coming out after their winter siesta - saw a few and nearly trod on a large one that was way more chilled than me - I think he's a diamond python, so not likely to cause any grief but I'm sure there's a few browns about as well.

IMG_0801.JPG

Missing the great locations but glad to be home and off the roads with all the school holiday traffic on the highways.

IMG_0748.JPG

Cheers

Fil

Good on you Phil. Sounds like a great trip anyway! Fishing was certainly hard, with the wind playing havoc most days. Our total in wooli wasn't great but what an awesome part of Aust! 

Home now too mate and so many bloody tourists! Lol 

cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Gutamouth said:

Nice report mate, some cool photos there too! Love that sunset at Hat head

did you manage to fish the death hole while you were there? 

No, fished once on 'the island' (for zip although looked really promising but didn't deliver) and a couple of times on the hat side of the island , was hard to find wash - the nor-easter blew like hell but it was too calm on the south side

According to the book Sea Fishes of Southern Australia the white tips to the dorsal and anal fin make it a bigeye trevally. There’s also a difference in the eye - bigeye has a gelatinous eyelid at rear of eye but it’s easy to overlook and doesn’t photograph well.

They are hard to tell apart, though.

Edited by Volitan