How to tell if fish is poisonous/venomous??

notoriousTASH

Good evening raiders!

Quick question. As a newbie to the fishing game, I wanted to ask if there are any distinctive features, markings, etc of fish that are poisonous and/or venomous? Reason I ask is should I catch something, particularly if it's venomous, I don't want to put myself at risk of getting stung if I'm trying to get the hook out of it's mouth. Same goes for poisonous, don't want anybody to eat anything that's poisonous obviously, though I suppose if I do catch one I'd have a quick look on the NSW Fishing Guide/Google to see if it's poisonous. Again, more worried about the venomous thing as I don't want to get stung and fall ill if I handle one. 

Thanks in advance :)

Rule 1: Avoid Spikes

Rule 2: Avoid spikes from brightly coloured fish even more.

Rule 3: If in doubt, dont handle it.

Flathead have spikes above thr back of their gills. These hurt like a ××××××××××××. Use a decent rag when handling. 

Just now, recurve said:

This is the fish that got me asking the question! I was going through some older posts on this site and if I understood correctly, the spikes hurt, and they're venomous? However it seems they make for great eating. I've seen people call it the 'poor man's lobster' on here. Tried searching YouTube for videos on how people fillet such a fish, no luck though. 

There's another potential question for anyone who may know - how have you filleted this fish without hurting yourself, let alone handling it/killing it?

19 hours ago, recurve said:

Rule 1: Avoid Spikes

Rule 2: Avoid spikes from brightly coloured fish even more.

Rule 3: If in doubt, dont handle it.

Flathead have spikes above thr back of their gills. These hurt like a ××××××××××××. Use a decent rag when handling. 

Rule 4:Avoid putting fingers near/in fishes mouth/gills as they can give you nasty bites/Cuts.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/saltwater-bag-and-size-limits

These are the most common species you'll find in NSW waters. None are venomous to handle WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE RED ROCK COD however, many still have spines that hurt like hell and a lot have sharp teeth. None of the fish on that list are poisonous to eat. Lipgrips, pliers and a damp rag will get you a long way in keeping you safe. If you cannot ID a fish species, please don't take it home. Take a photo, release it and post it in our 'aquarium' section for an ID for next time. Nothing annoys me more than when people have a photo of a dead fish in their kitchen sink in the aquarium section and then find out it's poisonous to eat hence, died for nothing. In regards to filleting, you can wear some good quality puncture-proof gloves. And practice lots. 

Red rock cod hey... Taste delicious, handle with caution. As with killing just cut the throat, snap neck up, bleed then ice. When filleting employ a Japanese style of filleting. Cut behind the pec fins toward the head on both sides, insert knife into butt and cut up to the head, avoid nicking the guts. Pull head down similar to cleaning a leatherjacket. Now fillet the fish starting on one side, cut toward spine either from back and belly. Insert knife a tail end of fillet and cut towards head side severing the ribcage and pin bones. Remove fillet. Repeat with other side. Remove ribcage and cut down either side of the pin bones cutting out the bloodline. Skin if ur going to sashimi or leave the skin on if ur going to fry or bake, just remember to score the skin or it'll curl up into foetal position. I would link my video but I'm in China so when I get back I'll link it.

Edited by BIGG DADDA TREVS

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2017 at 7:54 PM, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

Red rock cod hey... Taste delicious, handle with caution. As with killing just cut the throat, snap neck up, bleed then ice. When filleting employ a Japanese style of filleting. Cut behind the pec fins toward the head on both sides, insert knife into butt and cut up to the head, avoid nicking the guts. Pull head down similar to cleaning a leatherjacket. Now fillet the fish starting on one side, cut toward spine either from back and belly. Insert knife a tail end of fillet and cut towards head side severing the ribcage and pin bones. Remove fillet. Repeat with other side. Remove ribcage and cut down either side of the pin bones cutting out the bloodline. Skin if ur going to sashimi or leave the skin on if ur going to fry or bake, just remember to score the skin or it'll curl up into foetal position. I would link my video but I'm in China so when I get back I'll link it.

You back from China yet? Would love a link to your YouTube video about red rock cod