Telescope rods

GioSparro

Hey there everyone, im looking to get a telescope rod for traveling reasons. Just wondering if they are any good or rubbish. I walk to most places so it would be good. Also my car is small when i drive its difficult getting a full sized rod

Yer they're pretty good if u get a decent one. The Kastking Ranger is a really cheap rod that will basically suit ur everyday all purpose rod. I pair it with braid and it casts a mile. It's just a little stiff for lures sometimes. It's only like 30 bucks so snag one and try it. U can't really go wrong with something at that price range

1 hour ago, GioSparro said:

Hey there everyone, im looking to get a telescope rod for traveling reasons. Just wondering if they are any good or rubbish. I walk to most places so it would be good. Also my car is small when i drive its difficult getting a full sized rod

I wouldn't bother with telescopic mate. They are nowhere as good as a proper rod. 

I use 2 piece rods for everything as I like the convenience. There is no difference in performance to a one piece in my view and a 7ft 2 piece will fit in any car no problem. 

There are some decent ones, but in general they aren't great. If you are casting lures I would look for something else, but if you're using it for bait fishing the quality of the rod really doesn't matter, as long as it casts well enough and doesn't break.

Hi,

Apart from the obvious (travelling) what are you looking for out of this rod? How compact does it need to be? What line rating are you thinking? What sort of fishing (bait/lure/both) do you have in mind?

I've handled a few telescoping rods over the years but never been impressed enough to consider buying one. I find they often have less guides than I like (I look for 1 per foot of length plus 1 more. For example, 7 foot rod = 8 guides or more) which results in a poor bend in the rod when they load up and the guides have a tendency to get a little twisted if you don't lock the sections up properly. You can catch fish on them and they are compact but I didn't enjoy using them. Also found them to be a little heavier than my normal gear.

I have a number of 2 piece rods which I keep in after market travel cases and which fit nicely in the boot of my car. I also own several traveller rods from the Shimano Raider series (1 Bream, 1 Snapper & 1 Barra) and a 4 piece 7 weight fly rod from Composite Developments which all came with a travel case and are all small enough to fit in a suitcase. As they are all graphite and well designed they are a pleasure to fish with. The Raider travellers have cost me between $120 and $140 depending on how nice the salesperson was on the day.

Regards,

Derek

3 hours ago, DerekD said:

3 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi,

Apart from the obvious (travelling) what are you looking for out of this rod? How compact does it need to be? What line rating are you thinking? What sort of fishing (bait/lure/both) do you have in mind?

I've handled a few telescoping rods over the years but never been impressed enough to consider buying one. I find they often have less guides than I like (I look for 1 per foot of length plus 1 more. For example, 7 foot rod = 8 guides or more) which results in a poor bend in the rod when they load up and the guides have a tendency to get a little twisted if you don't lock the sections up properly. You can catch fish on them and they are compact but I didn't enjoy using them. Also found them to be a little heavier than my normal gear.

I have a number of 2 piece rods which I keep in after market travel cases and which fit nicely in the boot of my car. I also own several traveller rods from the Shimano Raider series (1 Bream, 1 Snapper & 1 Barra) and a 4 piece 7 weight fly rod from Composite Developments which all came with a travel case and are all small enough to fit in a suitcase. As they are all graphite and well designed they are a pleasure to fish with. The Raider travellers have cost me between $120 and $140 depending on how nice the salesperson was on the day.

Regards,

Derek

It probably would have helped if i started with this, it will be for blackfish off the Rocks and wharf with 6lb line. Thats why i need a long rod thats easy to move around. That will be the main purpose with the odd bream or whiting fish so always bait, no lures or anything

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

a general length for on the rocks is usually 10ft or more..i wouldn't touch a telescopic that long..you may have to have something longer than your planning..rick

The place i go has a nice drop off so 8ft rod would be fine, the longer rod is just to wear the fish out

Edited by GioSparro