Bluenose Bream

BIGG DADDA TREVS

I have an enquiry about blue nose bream, whether I've been poorly informed or misidentified a fish. Last year I caught a bream in the hawkesbury river that went 48cm, I thought it was just a bream as I was just starting fishing and didn't know of any other species of bream. Later, looking back at the photos is identified it as a bluenose bream. Just wandering if the bluenose bream is counted as a different species as I couldn't find it in the records section. Thx

11 minutes ago, BIGG DADDA TREVS said:

I have an enquiry about blue nose bream, whether I've been poorly informed or misidentified a fish. Last year I caught a bream in the hawkesbury river that went 48cm, I thought it was just a bream as I was just starting fishing and didn't know of any other species of bream. Later, looking back at the photos is identified it as a bluenose bream. Just wandering if the bluenose bream is counted as a different species as I couldn't find it in the records section. Thx

Mature bream when they reach a certain length/size develop a bluish colouring around the mouth area giving them the name of blue nose bream.Smaller/infant bream lack this marking.Your one at 48cm carried that blue nose for years as I've caught them in the low 30's with the marking and bream are a fairly slow growing fish.

in this area of the state they are all yellowfin bream..bluenose is a slang term for a larger specimen with a blue tinge on the front of their head...as you head south down the coast you will start catching black bream which are more predominant in the southern parts of the country..the only other species of bream are pikey bream from far northern Australia...rick

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

caught on bait but before I joined raider..no report no record I assume..have posted fotos of other large bream before from same spot..most are 48/52 cm....might go try for a big one this week..rick

That's one very serious Bream Rick. Good luck if you manage to get among them again. BN