Quiet Bream

JacobyBream

Saturday 7th October 

Headed out to Blackwattle Bay today with the Kayak armed and ready to hit the water. With the tide having just turned from a low and slowly coming in, i launched at the Glebe rowing club and paddled over to the fish markets to fish the enormous amount of structure. I was armed with my Bream gear. With 4lb Berkley Fireline Exceed and 6lb BlackMagic Flurocarbon leader. The idea with the slightly heavier leader was that with the tight structure i'd have more of a chance of pulling a quality Bream out. I tied on TT Headlockz 1/12 jighead with Zman 2.5" Grubz in Motor Oil. Casted around the boats, along pontoons and in between the trawler boats for not a single touch. There was a lot of jellyfish frothing everywhere filling up the water, if this meant anything, i don't know. A guy came out onto the pontoon off the fish markets telling me how the size of some of the Bream that are around here are enormous and they get fed often. He told me how it was unusual for them to take a liking of a lure. Although i didn't think he was saying that there was Bream there today, because i hadn't had a touch. :unsure: I fished in and around the trawler boats for a while after that insightful info. Although after a while after watching some bloke take a piss off his trawler boat and knowing now that the Bream must know what real food looks like as they get fed, i decided to move on and paddle over to the marina at Rozelle Bay. I stopping off at a small marina halfway to Rozelle Bay and decided to have a flick off it for a couple of Flatties and maybe even the seemingly elusive Bream. After letting the Kayak and me dry off for a bit while having a flick, with once again not a touch :mellow:<_<, i got back in and paddle over to the main marina in Rozelle Bay. I got back to it, casting and casting and skip casting, and casting with not a touch!! There was not any jellyfish here either. They seemed only to be near the fish markets. I ended the day skip casting on the off chance my luck will change around small marina at the end of the bay, near Bicentennial Park. Nope, not a sniff. Don't know what it was today, but is this area always like this. I thought it would be a Bream haven. Should i have another go around here in Summer? I don't know? Any advice would be great. Still waiting for my Kayak to get its first fish. :wacko: Meanwhile, while i was out in the Kayak. My brother who was landbased hooked 4 decent Flatties. He lost 2 and caught 2. Meanwhile, i got the big dount. :( photo 1 (6).JPG

Fishing around the trawler boats at the Sydney Fish Markets

photo 2 (6).JPG

photo 3 (6).JPG

Pitt stop on a small marina

photo 4 (4).JPG

Sunset

photo 5 (1).JPG

Ending the day near Bicentennial Park

Edited by JacobyBream

Your man on the pontoon was right - fish hanging around places where they get fed are not shy but are fussy. I can rattle off a few places where that's the case. Of course, big fish are harder to catch as well - big fish have run the gauntlet many times.

You're doing the right thing with lures and line though.

Try the next bay round - iron cove. It's my favourite bream spot. Fish the bridge, the boat hulls, and the shallows. Just put everything back because it's very mucky.

Plenty of jellies at the moment - it's bloom time I think. Like you, never know if it's good or bad, but I suspect the latter. I'd want to steer clear of them if I was a fish, lol. 

Thanks guys for all your replies. Really appreciate them and enjoy reading them. Razzell, thanks for the priceless info mate. Will do giving iron cove a go. Also wanna try flicking around the pontoons in Long Bay in Middle Harbour too. 

Remember many years ago at Maroochydore Qld (well, somewhere around there) looking over the edge of a commercial fishing wharf and watching the very large bream eating the cooked prawn heads being fed into the water. Put a hook into a prawn head and it would not be touched, just sink to the bottom.

Big bream can be cunning bastards during daytime. They will eat real food if it is there (prawn heads, fish scraps) but not be fooled by any fancy lures.