Savage 480 Osprey

Sea Ranger

I'm asking this specifically regarding a Savage 480 Osprey,, but in reality it could just about be applied to any Aluminum boat.  When looking at older Aluminum boats say the 1970's 80's and I suppose 90's are there things to specifically look out for?   I hear about corosion from sinkers, hooks and the like floundering around in the hull.   I find it hard to believe after 30 years or so that no sinkers or hooks are under the floor now.    Is this a real problem?  Other than pulling the floor and vaccuming or rolling the hull over is there anything that can be done?  

Bear

1 hour ago, Noo2OzFish said:

I'm asking this specifically regarding a Savage 480 Osprey,, but in reality it could just about be applied to any Aluminum boat.  When looking at older Aluminum boats say the 1970's 80's and I suppose 90's are there things to specifically look out for?   I hear about corosion from sinkers, hooks and the like floundering around in the hull.   I find it hard to believe after 30 years or so that no sinkers or hooks are under the floor now.    Is this a real problem?  Other than pulling the floor and vaccuming or rolling the hull over is there anything that can be done?  

Bear

Are you still looking for that elusive "perfect" second hand boat?All the same rules apply to alloy boats regardless the vintage mate.If the sinkers, hooks haven't eaten through the hull in the last 30 yrs I'd be thinking that your safe to say there's none under the floor to worry about.The answer to your last question is yes,buy a brand new boat or a fibreglass and juggle through a whole new host of issues that come with them if your that worried.

LOL Fab

Yes I'm still looking mate.  I went away on holidays for a while so stopped then but,, I'm back.   Not looking for the perfect boat just a fair boat for a fair price that is going to get us out fishing

Bear

Edited by Noo2OzFish
my speiling

12 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

LOL Fab

Yes I'm still looking mate.  I went away on holidays for a while so stopped then but,, I'm back.   Not looking for the perfect boat just a fair boat for a fair price that is going to get us out fishing

Bear

13 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Just bear in mind that you have Galvonic corrosion and electrolysis which can both effect aluminium boats.The sinkers,hooks etc underfloor will cause Galvonic corrosion eating the hull in the vicinity of where they lay which is caused by dissimilar metals combined with saltwater and effect a small area if caught early.

Electrolysis is caused by a stray current continually running through the hull.It will effect the entire boat mainly from the waterline to the keel which will turn the boat into a colander in no time.

If some dimwit(including dealers)has earthed the negative battery terminal to the hull is probably the most common cause for it.Another place it tends to happen is marinas where a nearby boat can be putting out a current which will travel through the water effecting nearby boats.

Mate I lifted the floor on my boat after about 3 months from new, I found used welding sticks,screws , bolts and about $4 in coinage and NONE of it was mine- phoned the factork and had a dig (TABS) they reckoned one of their guys had a hole in his pocket which may of explained the coins but I still wasnt impressed. its worth getting the floor up thats for sure. The Osprey hull is quite a nice hull, rides well for a tinny especially downhill used to fish in a mates

My new boat had swarf from installing all of the equipment, they did clean most of it just not up to my standard, it also rain for two weeks after I picked it up so what else was I supposed to do with a new boat, while it rained

I have pulled the floor up yet, to scared it wont sit flush again and look new.

My last boat I sold I took the young bloke down to the ramp after removing the flooring of the tinnie and showed there was no leaks or cracks.