Sydney Salmon action

bojulabah

Salmon have been going crackers over the past 2 months. Some days they have been hard to entice to bite and others they smash a lure / fly as soon as it hits the water. I have had luck with small weightless plastics -50mm grubs as well as “Bobs salmon candy” that I have been tying myself. These have been bullet proof and I have not had a day in the past 2 months where I haven’t hooked up with them. 

Although the wind and chop has been unpleasant on many occasions - over the past 2 weeks they have moved into the bays and inlets around Middle Harbour. There have been some BIG Kings there too smashing these little flies, but impossible to stop on 8lb braid. I hope they stay around until Christmas.

91E3EE0C-0F4E-483C-8242-853FBA27E439.jpeg

I cut their throat immediately and bleed them (over the side of the boat on a tail rope), put them on ice, skin them and they taste great. I remember in 1970’s when akingfish were used as cat food and never available in fish shops as no one would eat them -different story now.

my wife crumbs them in Panko bread crumbs and lightly fry’s them for 2-3mins. They are good eating, mind you, I don’t like break and really only like Kingfish, blackfish, Dolphin fish, flathead and Mulloway. Catch plenty of other species, but give them away.

At the moment (mid October) only very occasional hookups appear to be to metals and weighted plastics. The only hook ups I have had have been on 10gram metals, 2” plastic grubs with tiny lead heads cast with the wind and 6-7” “Sluggo” or paddle tails in white colour