wiring up lowrance 3x

tomcat8819

hey guys, 

have had a kayak for ages and it came with a sounder i just havent wired it up yet. A mate used to have a basic tinny set up and ran his sounder off a 9v battery pack that was in a waterproof container stored in the boat. can i simply rig up something similar for my yak as my sounder in question runs off 9 volts... he'd get a few trips per battery which would suit me fine atm, am looking to hook up a proper 12 v deep cycle battery to run a watersnake off (which i will then connect the sounder too also) in the future but im not using it enough to warrant the big battery and electric motor. plus am trying to keep the running weight down at the same time. any info would be greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, tomcat8819 said:

hey guys, 

have had a kayak for ages and it came with a sounder i just havent wired it up yet. A mate used to have a basic tinny set up and ran his sounder off a 9v battery pack that was in a waterproof container stored in the boat. can i simply rig up something similar for my yak as my sounder in question runs off 9 volts... he'd get a few trips per battery which would suit me fine atm, am looking to hook up a proper 12 v deep cycle battery to run a watersnake off (which i will then connect the sounder too also) in the future but im not using it enough to warrant the big battery and electric motor. plus am trying to keep the running weight down at the same time. any info would be greatly appreciated

Yes you can do the same if you wish.I would just purchase a 12v motorcycle Battery and battery charger and use those.

1 hour ago, Fab1 said:

Yes you can do the same if you wish.I would just purchase a 12v motorcycle Battery and battery charger and use those.

will do if i end up hooking up my watersnake but its overkill just for my sounder. as in not the power but the extra weight trade off

5 hours ago, tomcat8819 said:

hey guys, 

I know you are trying to keep weight down but why buy 2 batteries and end up only using 1?

If you are sure you are going to get the Watersnake I would just get the large 12v and run the sounder off that.

21 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I know you are trying to keep weight down but why buy 2 batteries and end up only using 1?

If you are sure you are going to get the Watersnake I would just get the large 12v and run the sounder off that.

already got the watersnake im just not using it as its overkill for estuary and how im using it atm, will throw it on once i actually crack some decent fish and want to push outside to chase pelagics in summer. figured a 9v battery clip and housing unit is 3 dollars, will take me two mins to solder it up and hook it up opposed to spending 50 bucks on a battery im not even going to use for 3 months. know what i mean? im just planning on finding some decent holes and structure in lake macquarie this weekend, wont have time to get a battery etc. will only take me a further ten mins down the track to hook up the big battery when i want to use both. 

Edited by tomcat8819

Oh ok. Now I better understand. 

The 9V you are referring to isn’t one of those little square types we used to put our tongues across when kids?

I can’t seeing a battery that small  running a sounder for any useful amount of time. 

I still reckon just get the big electric motor battery if it’s going to cost you to get a decent motorbike battery.