rozza_b

Hey all, 

Wondering if anyone would know where i can get my hands on a couple of these 

https://bigangryfish.tv/fishing-how-to/the-release-clip

They are used to live bait with a spin reel, would love to get my hand on a couple as i already have a few decent spin reels and would love to just be able to use them for live baiting for kings out of the boat, 

Cheers 

Rory  

Cant help you where to get that exact clip mate, unless you order it online from NZ, but postage could be more than the clip unfortunately.

Wondering whether an outrigger/downrigger clip could do the same job for you? 

Just a thought.

Cheers

Dave

Yeah i cant seem to find them anywhere outside of NZ which surprises me a lot.....anyway will keep searching 

As for the outrigger/downrigger clip it probably would work but i dont really want to have to clip it off to the boat etc, best thing about those clips above is they are mounted to the road and out of way, plus if the live bait swims off to the other side of the boat i can just move the rod and not have to worry about moving the clip etc 

Cheers 

Rory 

I know your set on getting one of these clips but I reckon your better off just leaving the reel in gear. In my experience if a King is going to eat a bait it will do it with the reel in gear and get hooked no problem.

With the bail open on a spin reel it will still feel some resistance, not to mention the resistance from the line in the water. The fish will have time to drop the bait and not hook on.

When the reel is in gear the King has no time to think when it grabs the bait. As soon as it grabs it, it moves away and it hooks on.

Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Mullatt said:

Cant help you where to get that exact clip mate, unless you order it online from NZ, but postage could be more than the clip unfortunately.

Wondering whether an outrigger/downrigger clip could do the same job for you? 

Just a thought.

Cheers

Dave

I think Dave's suggestion above might mean use a small downrigger clip taped/cabletied/rubberbanded to the rod similar to that clip in the picture. 

You can also unscrew your reel from the reel seat, put a rubber band looped several time over so it is tight in the rod and move it up the butt to between the reel and the stripper guide (bottom guide). Then you take a little slack loop in the line and tuck it (from the rod tip end back towards the reel direction) under 1,2,3 or however many layers/wraps of the rubber band you want to set the tension on the release. Then you can have the bail arm open like with that clip. The trick is to have a little bit of tension on the line between the rubber band and the reel so the line doesn't loosely loop of in the wind. 

I have done this rubber band trick

myself and it does work. You do need to make sure that you don't get a loose loop wrap around your bottom guid when it releases but you will have eh same risk with that clip also. Probably moreso with the clip as there are more bits for the line to catch on. 

19 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

I know your set on getting one of these clips but I reckon your better off just leaving the reel in gear. In my experience if a King is going to eat a bait it will do it with the reel in gear and get hooked no problem.

With the bail open on a spin reel it will still feel some resistance, not to mention the resistance from the line in the water. The fish will have time to drop the bait and not hook on.

When the reel is in gear the King has no time to think when it grabs the bait. As soon as it grabs it, it moves away and it hooks on.

Just my opinion.

Not set on getting one of these at all mate, just think they would be very useful for a lot of fishing with live baits not just for kings, but yeah i see what your saying its a good point just have a bit of different opinion

1 hour ago, rozza_b said:

Not set on getting one of these at all mate, just think they would be very useful for a lot of fishing with live baits not just for kings, but yeah i see what your saying its a good point just have a bit of different opinion

You can only give it go. See how it goes. Just watch out for your fingers on the line when a king is running and you close the bail arm. 

If you haven't live baited for big fish like that before, make sure when you are going to strike you sort of swing the rod away from the fish a little bit with the bail arm still open. This creates a tiny bit of slack in the line even with the fish swimming away. You do this to give yourself that split second delay to get the bail arm shut on slack line before striking, so you are not trying to close the bail arm on line that is being ripped from the spool. You clip the bail arm shut at the end of the forward swing and then follow the pressure back with the rod as it loads up. It can lead to injured fingers, lost fish and coarse language. 

I don't strike hard and fast when fishing livies like this that you are trying to get the fish to swallow, in case you pull the bait and hook out of the fishes mouth. Especially with braid. I hold the rod at a slight angle and wind to take up the pressure and the hook will set itself in the best place it can find. Like a circle hook method but I still do it with live bait J hooks too. 

We fish with large baitrunners for most of this fishing. If we need to go bigger to a jig outfit then someone normally holds the rod with the bail arm open and holds the braid lightly with their finger, like feeling for a bream nibble. When the fish takes the bait, just let the braid go with your finger. 

Edited by Captain Spanner

On 10/19/2017 at 10:28 PM, Captain Spanner said:

If you haven't live baited for big fish like that before, make sure when you are going to strike you sort of swing the rod away from the fish a little bit with the bail arm still open. This creates a tiny bit of slack in the line even with the fish swimming away. You do this to give yourself that split second delay to get the bail arm shut on slack line before striking, so you are not trying to close the bail arm on line that is being ripped from the spool. You clip the bail arm shut at the end of the forward swing and then follow the pressure back with the rod as it loads up. It can lead to injured fingers, lost fish and coarse language. 

I don't strike hard and fast when fishing livies like this that you are trying to get the fish to swallow, in case you pull the bait and hook out of the fishes mouth. Especially with braid. I hold the rod at a slight angle and wind to take up the pressure and the hook will set itself in the best place it can find. Like a circle hook method but I still do it with live bait J hooks too. 

We fish with large baitrunners for most of this fishing. If we need to go bigger to a jig outfit then someone normally holds the rod with the bail arm open and holds the braid lightly with their finger, like feeling for a bream nibble. When the fish takes the bait, just let the braid go with your finger. 

Some great bits of info there for the unsuspecting fisho, fortunately i have played the game before and managed to keep my fingers, cheers for the input though

Rozza

For kings and jew I fish in gear , full drag , if the fish misses I will open the bail arm and drop the bait back but usually for a 2 seconds at the most. Trolling livies I just use a rubber band to the reel handle to keep the livie flat in the water, same when hanging a livie from a set rod in a holder. The 30 cm's of slack that the rubber band creates is more than enough, 90 5 of my kings are hooked in the jaw even with J-hooks, circles not worth the trouble for downrigging