Live baiting - rigs and tricks

Pauafritta

I have tried a few times while out on the boat to drop a live  (Yellowtail) down but am yet to catch anything. I wanted to check what rigs people are using as I have been hooking them in the back and dropping them over the side with no weight at anchor or on the drift. They seem to hang out mid winter or go under the boat. Im usually around and out of Botany Bay.

Should I be adding a sinker, paternoster style?

When trolling a live bait, should I also add a sinker to get it deeper and what speed should I troll?

I have also been catching a few squid and am keen to know how to troll the head and tentacles around as I keep the rest to eat. Do I troll the heads weighted as well?

Thanks for the advice.

Try using a slider clip above your leader and attaching a swivel to that. It allows the fish to swim more naturally than on a paternoster rig, giving the fish some extra line to move around.

Cheers,

Wellzy

6 minutes ago, Pauafritta said:

Wellzy - you mean like this? Image result for live bait slider rig

That's how I do it, mate!

I'll use a single hook through the top lip of the fish. If I'm bringing up baits with the head left, I'll switch to two hooks. One in the mouth, one in the back.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Guest Guest123456789

Do yourself a favour. Watch a few episodes of big angry fish. Then you'll know how to LB properly from a boat.

12 hours ago, Pauafritta said:

I have tried a few times while out on the boat to drop a live  (Yellowtail) down but am yet to catch anything. I wanted to check what rigs people are using as I have been hooking them in the back and dropping them over the side with no weight at anchor or on the drift. They seem to hang out mid winter or go under the boat. Im usually around and out of Botany Bay.

Should I be adding a sinker, paternoster style?

When trolling a live bait, should I also add a sinker to get it deeper and what speed should I troll?

I have also been catching a few squid and am keen to know how to troll the head and tentacles around as I keep the rest to eat. Do I troll the heads weighted as well?

Thanks for the advice.

Troll speed is slow. There are no rules. If you want to troll deeper add weight. If you want to stay up higher, troll without weight.