What line weight for flathead fishing?

Flattiefisher

That’s a bit of a difficult question to answer as everyone has different amounts of risk they want to take. 

6lb line/ leader will bring in any flathead your likely to hook but you risk getting bit off by the flatheads teeth.

Are you fishing bait or lure? I would go 8-10lb myself. That size leader should last for a decent session. Some people use more. Up to you really.  

Check the leader after every fish. 

If you are using fluorocarbon for leader or mainline you can drop down your size as the fluorocarbon has a much tougher outer coating than mono My flattie outfit has 5lb braid and 10lb fluorocarbon leader and I haven't been bitten off yet

Hi.  6lb braid or nylon is plenty heavy enough, however you should fish a heavier trace to avoid abrasion by their teeth should a big one take the jig right down.  I would use a rod length of leader 8 to 10lb when using braid.  You also have the option of adding a short trace of 10 to 17lb fluro only about 6-8 inches long when using braid or nylon to avoid bite offs..

I fish ANSA comps for flathead mostly using bait and only use 1kg Platypus pretest line but use a heavy fluro trace to avoid bite offs.  My best 2 flathead on 1kg were both 97cm long weighing 5.64kg and 5.66kg, so your 6lb should be no worries if your drag is set at 1.5 to 2lb.  You may get some long runs should you hook a big one but lots of fun.

Ron

3 hours ago, campr said:

Hi.  6lb braid or nylon is plenty heavy enough, however you should fish a heavier trace to avoid abrasion by their teeth should a big one take the jig right down.  I would use a rod length of leader 8 to 10lb when using braid.  You also have the option of adding a short trace of 10 to 17lb fluro only about 6-8 inches long when using braid or nylon to avoid bite offs..

I fish ANSA comps for flathead mostly using bait and only use 1kg Platypus pretest line but use a heavy fluro trace to avoid bite offs.  My best 2 flathead on 1kg were both 97cm long weighing 5.64kg and 5.66kg, so your 6lb should be no worries if your drag is set at 1.5 to 2lb.  You may get some long runs should you hook a big one but lots of fun.

Ron

What Ron said! I fish 2kg Platypus Pretest a lot. I used to fish 1kg but my old eyes struggle with the knots. I'll probably give it another go soon, though. Use a heavier leader/trace. If you're using lures or circle hooks with bait you shouldn't get hooked deep. Flathead don't usually bite you off - they use their teeth in a sawing motion to wear through the line. The most dangerous time is when they're up on the surface, so try and keep their head down.

I would recommend 6-8lb line for flatties. You could easily bring in 90% of them on 2-4lb, but if you catch a monster flattie who snaps you off you'll never forgive yourself, so it's worth going a little bit over what you need. I use a 10lb fluorocarbon leader and have never been bitten off fishing lures, but others have different experiences.

Agree with Iceman. I use 4 lb Braid, 6 lb leader, about 1 1/2 rod lengths, then around 25 c/m of 12 lb fluro.  I lure fish almost exclusively, and mainly target Flathead. But the odd Jew livens things up! I sometimes chase Bream with straight 4 lb fluro, but my lure collection suffers too much. Hence the short 12 lb trace. Set your drag  correctly, have fun, and take your time. A couple of weeks ago I got one into the net after a great fight in 50 c/m of water which would have been in the 90's. She thrashed around in the net , which I was holding with one hand, and I dropped the net in the water and lost the fish. Oh well.   Howard.

Edited by bluefin

Guest Guest123456789

Another fan of 6lbs platypus mono. Double the line for the uni knot and as mentioned check your leader after each fish.

As others have said, the best advice is to keep their head under water when landing them. If you don't, thats when they go ballistic and will more than likely rub/abrase you off. As long as you keep their head under and net them cleanly, dont think it matters what size line/leader you use.

1 hour ago, Mullatt said:

As others have said, the best advice is to keep their head under water when landing them. If you don't, thats when they go ballistic and will more than likely rub/abrase you off. As long as you keep their head under and net them cleanly, dont think it matters what size line/leader you use.

^ This.

If you're fishing out of a boat just keep their head low - I usually bring them up by leading them around the boat in circles it slowly works them up to the top with ease and they're going with you instead of against you.

I use 3lb braid and 6lb fluorocarbon leader - only ever been bitten off once and that was because i'd left the rod unattended and the flatty had time to swallow the plastic. That being said they aren't leader shy - i just keep it light as i can chase flathead and bream with the same outfit without changing leaders (and the leader knot passes through the guide with less resistance)

When using soft plastics 99% of the time you're going to hook them in the lip/jaw.