Seven years between fish and it grew by 8 cm

wchh

My last beach Jew was caught in 2010 off Mona vale beach. That fish was 92 cm and stood as my PB jewie for all those years!

The record was finally refreshed with a full meter fish last night. Fish was caught from Cronulla beach, @ 8:00 pm sharp. 12ft beach rod, 30lb main line, 30lb leader(a piece of the mainline). Half of a smallish pillie on a size 2 suicide hook. I was targeting bream and flathead as it was still a couple of hours before high tide. Appeared the fish was hungry and jumped out too early.

IMG_7399.JPG

Charles

2 hours ago, wchh said:

My last beach Jew was caught in 2010 off Mona vale beach. That fish was 92 cm and stood as my PB jewie for all those years!

The record was finally refreshed with a full meter fish last night. Fish was caught from Cronulla beach, @ 8:00 pm sharp. 12ft beach rod, 30lb main line, 30lb leader(a piece of the mainline). Half of a smallish pillie on a size 2 suicide hook. I was targeting bream and flathead as it was still a couple of hours before high tide. Appeared the fish was hungry and jumped out too early.

IMG_7399.JPG

Charles

Lovely fish.Where you trying to catch a meter bream with the 30lb trace also?

56 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Lovely fish.Where you trying to catch a meter bream with the 30lb trace also?

Meter bream ? That must be very rare. I am yet to crack the 50 cm mark as the larger one of the two I caught on 40 lb leader two weeks ago went only 44 cm and refreshed my previous bream PB by 3 cm.

40 lb and 80lb leader are two of the choices I use on the beach. I normally use 40lb with a section (about 20 cm ) of 80 lb in the front. This conmbination minimises tangle of lines , handles the biggest tailor OK and I found fish from the beach do not mind leader size that much. I even caught whiting on 80 lb leader. It must have been the wave action made the stiffness of bigger leader less noticeable?

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Fishing from the beach at night i would do the same i rekon i dont find flathead particularly picky and i wouldnt use silly string for wavy breaking surf

Fair enough.Good effort once again.

30lb mainline, 30lb leader and the 2# hook put me at the lower side of confidence level. I had no issue to beach the fish setting the light/medium drag but was very mindfull not to pull once the fish touched sand. Due to I was solo, I had to put the rod on the sand and handled the fish bare handed. I must have put my hand very close to the mouth if not into it. The whole process made 3 of my fingers a total mess. Lessen learnt: always wear a glove as a minimum, better still have the gaff handy. 

IMG_7404.JPG