Mixed bag from the Hacking

hookerbrucer

First trip for 7 weeks caught up travelling on holidays, good to be home.

Headed out from Port Hacking today to catch some of Yowie's  flathead.

After 1 1/2 hours only had 4 fish. Time for a change of  plan, went in close looking for squid.

Managed two babies. Change plan again go and fish the reefy areas. Result numerous throwback reddies and mixed reef fish.

Kept a variety. Next stop the sand flats in Port Hacking. the water was crystal clear. Managed 1 crab and the 2kg whiting line took off.

Several minutes later a nice 49 cm trevally reached the net. packed up and home by 12:30

dinner.jpg

12 hours ago, Smasher said:

Those Butchers Pr1cks (southern moari wrasse) make good bait, never eaten one though. What are they like?

The flesh will go soft like a lot of fish if not iced down. Fileted and skinned nice white meat not a lot of flavour so grand kids like it in bread crumbs. Takes up flavours like curry etc real well. Cold smoked with the skin on is very nice.

Haven't tried it for bait normally would use sweep filets if no real bait.

Hi Bruce

did you go to Weipa again on your travels? If so how did you fair?

I was there again in late May - heaps of bluefin a nice cobia  and a few spanish plus plenty of tuskfish on the bottom. Queenies were very scarce this year.

Cheers

Fil

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:58 AM, Yowie said:

A few fillets in that lot. The red rock cod are good eating. Have eaten the moari's before, they are reasonable quality, the flatties are better.

Yes quite a few fillets got visitors coming on the weekend who always look forward to a big fish cook up.

I agree the flathead taste best. I tried marks south of the bommie where I usually bag out in an hour but they just didn't fire this time.

18 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Hi Bruce

did you go to Weipa again on your travels? If so how did you fair?

I was there again in late May - heaps of bluefin a nice cobia  and a few spanish plus plenty of tuskfish on the bottom. Queenies were very scarce this year.

Cheers

Fil

No didn't get to Weipa this year. Did Tasmania, central Qld coast and then Europe. Saw your report on Weipa.

Two weeks on the houseboat in Weipa booked for end of April next year then off to King ash bay, Daley River, Broome and  the Kimberleys.

thanks

Bruce