130hp Yami - Moreton Bay

billthedrill

Hi peeps

Looking at buying a used boat around Moreton Bay Area with a 1999 Yamaha V4 130hp Saltwater Series.

Motor has approx 500 Hours - used twice in the last year - serviced a year ago - and rebuilt 3 years ago. 

Bloke reckons motor runs fine - but I’m based in Sydney and don’t want to drive up to see a hairy lemon.

Can any raiders recommend anyone honest, knowledgeable and trustworthy around Moreton Bay area who has experience with these two stroke motors that can do a pre-purchase inspection for me?

Whats everyone’s opinion on the rebuilt 2 stroke motor? My understanding is a rebuilt 2 stroke is definately better than a rebuilt 4 stroke - but I have never dealt with any boats who have had the word “rebuilt” in their service history. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

There is REBUILT and there is REFRESHED.

From my understanding

REBUILT = with a new powerhead and pistons

REFURBISHED = honed cyclinders and new rings

Not sure about the rebuilt but depending on who did it and cost it could be ok.

I would not go near a refurbished unless it was almost a giveaway

Bear

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:23 PM, billthedrill said:

Whats everyone’s opinion on the rebuilt 2 stroke motor? My understanding is a rebuilt 2 stroke is definately better than a rebuilt 4 stroke - but I have never dealt with any boats who have had the word “rebuilt” in their service history. 

Any assistance would be appreciated. 

If rebuilt properly it's better than old used as the parts are new.

Whether it's done properly is another story.

People have different versions of 'rebuilt', especially sellers. I wouldn't buy it unless I could find out exactly what work was done (with proof) and by who.

I would also find out why it needed to be rebuilt as well. Could have been constantly overheated, ran without oil in the past or have internal corrosion issues which could mean other damage that has not been 'rebuilt'

I am no expert, but i have just spent the last 3 months reading myself into anxiety about whether to go with a 4 stroke motor or 2 stroke (evinrude are my preference)

without boring you to death on the detail, from what i have read a well maintained 2 stroke will get 2000-3000 hours before needing a rebuild as opposed to the 4 stroke motors which market themselves as longer lasting. A well maintained 2 stroke should get around 4000 hours or even more.

if this engine has been rebuilt at 500 hours that does seem very odd.

that being said. It is 18 years old and it is also reasonable to assume some parts just dont last forever.

ironically, i am of the opinion that a regularly used and well maintained motor is a far better purchase than a motor that sits there rusting away all year never getting any action. The logic being simple. If i use my boat often, i want my motor to be mechanically A1 so i am never left stranded out on the water, or stranded at home :)