Octopus on SP

savit

Went to Northern Beaches last week targeting flatties on SP.  What surprised me was a by-catch on a second cast  - octopus (50cm diam) that pulled the lure when it was passing the weeded area. The fight was short as the bottom was sand. The octopus was released and sent back into the water.

Just wondering if they are  regular catch on lures?   

Ive caught 2 octopus on lures, both on SPs. The first one was on a Zman curly tail for flathead and it bit so i struck. It was on for a long time but I though I was on some seaweed but just before i got a look it came off. I cast out again and it strikes again, this time I flip it over and then the hook comes out. This specimen was about 2 kg. The second was also on a Zman lure, however this time I knew it was an octopus so i kept the tension on and smoked it in. I reckon they just hunt it just like any other fish, since their natural prey is small baitfish and crabs, since I've got them on livies and in crab pots.

I've caught an octopus on lures. It was really weird, because it attached its suckers to a rock so I thought I had a snag. I left the rod for a couple of minutes to see if the snag would undo itself and I pulled out on octopus, must have been on there the whole time.

I also caught a squid on a soft plastic. Funny thing was it didn't get hooked, it just latched on to the lure and refused to let go, even when I pulled it out of the water.

I got big one on sps just jagged but it tried to climb out of the live well and when I handled it, it grabbed me I threw it back like it was something from aliens LOL. But last time I was at akuna bay and old bloke was launching, looked like he could of been the old man of the sea,  I asked what are you after he said octopus , I asked how do you get them, he said with a line the rocks around her are full of them think he was a commercial fisher.

Had a weird day on botany bay about 6 months ago as we caught 9 small ockies.  Wat was strange was 5 were not on bait but were hanging on to sinker.  Also dropped about 5 more next to boat when they let go of sinker.