Lure fishing setups!

Kaneo

Hi Raiders,

Whats everyone running for their lure fishing rod setups & what type of fishing are you guys doing with lures. 

I’ll be running 2-4kg spin rod with a 2500 reel with 6lb braid and 8lb leader chasing flathead & bream in the lakes and estuaries. Fishing from the kayak and on shore ??

What type of rod? I love my ugly stick but since using a shimano sonic pro which I think is graphite Im converted to newer technology and material. Your setup looks good to me and will still handle the odd salmon or rat king if you happen to get one as bycatch. I have a couple of setups around the same except on my lighter rods I use 6LB braid with 12Lb leader. and on the heavier rods I use 12 braid with 20LB leader and I have 8-15 Kg rod with Shimano 8000 baitcaster 20lb mono with 40LB leader that I use chasing kingfish. I fish out of a tinnie in the harbour and close inshore.

16 minutes ago, Kaneo said:

I’ll be running 2-4kg spin rod with a 2500 reel with 6lb braid and 8lb leader chasing flathead & bream in the lakes and estuaries. Fishing from the kayak and on shore ??

That's about the same setup I've got for the kayak for the lake. Flatties don't take much convincing so it's enough power. Light enough to throw poppers for whiting/tailor, good for small blades, vibes, plastics up to 120mm or so.

18 minutes ago, blaxland said:

What type of rod? I love my ugly stick but since using a shimano sonic pro which I think is graphite Im converted to newer technology and material. Your setup looks good to me and will still handle the odd salmon or rat king if you happen to get one as bycatch. I have a couple of setups around the same except on my lighter rods I use 6LB braid with 12Lb leader. and on the heavier rods I use 12 braid with 20LB leader and I have 8-15 Kg rod with Shimano 8000 baitcaster 20lb mono with 40LB leader that I use chasing kingfish. I fish out of a tinnie in the harbour and close inshore.

I haven’t purchased this setup yet or started my lure fishing but this will be what I’ll be using. I’m thinking all shimano gear though graphite rod ?

18 minutes ago, Short said:

That's about the same setup I've got for the kayak for the lake. Flatties don't take much convincing so it's enough power. Light enough to throw poppers for whiting/tailor, good for small blades, vibes, plastics up to 120mm or so.

Seems like an all round good setup , I’ll be buying this setup with shimano gear & see how I go. Once I learn to use lures properly then I’ll buy a second setup with a bit heavier gear to chase bigger fish, I just need to get the little ones first ! Ahha 

I've gone a little lighter - 1-2kg 7ft graphite, with a ci4+ 1000 size reel. 5lb Berkely Fireline Exceed line (best braid I've ever used) and 5lb leader. Landed a couple of flatties on the weekend using 80mm wrigglers, with the biggest going 47cm. No sweat at all. I find this set-up great, as I cast twice as far as my 3-4kg spin gear.

6 hours ago, Kaneo said:

Hi Raiders,

Whats everyone running for their lure fishing rod setups & what type of fishing are you guys doing with lures. 

literally my setup, covers usual estuary stuff plus bass, trout and small to medium estuary trevally also landed kingies and jacks on same setup

im using the same rod reel combo  7ft 2/4kg  2500  8lb braid varying trace..i use this for sp flatties bass tailer an salmon and spinning in rivers for cod..in gorge country I go smaller and solid tip;ugly stik....this size combo is quite capable of knockin over solid fish...rick

9 hours ago, dirvin21 said:

literally my setup, covers usual estuary stuff plus bass, trout and small to medium estuary trevally also landed kingies and jacks on same setup

What brand rod and reel mate