Bag of fish of the central coast

King chaser

The day started on the water at 530 and it was looking flat as a tack putting in at Terrigal Haven. The water in close was 21.4 and relatively clean.

The old man and I shot out to terrigal FAD real quick, the swell was .8 with a glass surface. The current was barely moving and the water was 21.4 with a navy colour to it. We got out there and spent a few hours trying to find fish but not marking any fish or even bait. We tried lives, jigging spinning ect but didn’t even get bumped. Looked few hundred meter each way around the FAD but no joy.

We then darted out to Texas to try raise a kingfish. Got out there and water was 21.7 degrees and a deep electric blue colour, slightest current.  Did a few laps of the reef and didn’t mark a thing, no bait either and the surface was barren as well. Jigged for a few hours and all we could manage was a few barracuda. Tried bouncing some pillies off the bottom and burleying up and a 1.5meter mako started to circle the boat. We started to mark bait down on the bottom but no kings chasing.

With no fish in the bucket we retreated to the good old faithful reefs off the entrance / bateau. Happily they were pumping with activity. Water was 21.4 in here and a little dirty, there was a reddish alge slick right across the reef but that didn’t seem to put off the fish. Swell was still under a meter and there was a slight greenish tinge the close in.

we had a 1 hour sesh before the ‘wives curfew’ and we managed 3 trevalley, 4 bonito (biggest 62cm), 5 teraglin (biggest 78 cm).  

So top day, best part was hanging out with the old man and a bonus was a bag of trag for tea.

sorry bout the poor photos bellow.

and anyone have any tips re the fads and Texas reef for me.? I’ve been finding it hard to get a king in the boat lately.

FA49BE59-71BD-4667-B73B-144E370CEC4D.jpeg

Fads will start to kick off shortly mate, keep watching the SST and currents once it gets up around that 23 degree mark it will fire. No point fishing deep out there the Dolphin Fish stay in the top third of the water column. Read somewhere there were lots of tiny ones down in Sydney

10 hours ago, kaniSS said:

Teraglin sure do look a lot like jews. Awesome report. Looks like I will need to do some sounding before hitting a spot next time.

Hey kaniss certainly a great piece of advice I picked up here; is to look around the reefs and marks for bait and structure before anchoring up. This week the eastern part of reef was fruitful were just 5 days ago they were all over the western edge.

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

texas or the perch grounds have been hit n miss..i have mates that have caught kings twice out of five trips..i hate goin there as its 23 miles from Swansea heads and get sik of donuts there..there are more kings at bird is and the bull..rick

Cheers for that Rick, I’ve never fished the bull or b/island, how deep is it there and is there certain sides of each to concerntrate on? And other than kings what else do you come across?

another cheeky shot before they hit the pan this evening 

97EF928A-B526-4B66-A2BE-8229C9CAF201.jpeg