Mandatory Lifejacket trial extended

Burger

The below is from NSW DPI - Recreational Fisheries newsletter 

Review Planned for Rock Fishing Lifejacket Trial  

d9a9d81b-2741-45d1-b6c5-684dce75d280.jpg

Fines for rock fishers not wearing a lifejacket in the Randwick Local Government Area will now commence from 31 May 2018. The moratorium has been extended by the NSW Government to allow an independent assessment of the implementation of the Rock Fishing Safety Act 2016 (RFSA) to be undertaken.

The NSW Government has commissioned an independent evaluation to review the data and feedback collected over the past 12 months in Randwick, and will include a multi-lingual survey of rock fishers in the community. The community can also make a submission to the evaluation.

The past 12 months has allowed Randwick City Council and other agencies involved in the RFSA to trial a range of community engagement strategies, and to develop standard operating procedures and training materials.

The evaluation will provide a basis for the Government to consider the potential further roll out of the RFSA to other NSW coastal communities and how that could best be implemented. 

During the extended moratorium the NSW Government will continue to promote safe rock fishing through additional rock fishing workshops, multi-lingual educational material, rock fishing safety campaigns and water safety messaging. 

Over summer, the NSW Government is rolling out new water safety advertising and the Old4New van will continue to visit popular rock fishing areas to offer discounted lifejackets. New pamphlets and stickers promoting safe rock fishing are also being designed and will be made available at various retailers including bait shops and petrol stations.  

The community has the opportunity to contribute to the evaluation on the RFSA via the Government’s "have your say" website: https://goo.gl/idyXdg

Wearing a lifejacket and following simple water safety advice can help save your life. If you're rock fishing anywhere in NSW over the summer season be safe and wear a lifejacket. 

For more information, visit 
https://watersafety.nsw.gov.au

I wonder where do they will draw the line? ie: What if you're fishing from a platform 3+ meters above the waterline where the waves will never get you. Or fishing from inside facing rocks eg: Browns rock. I guess it'll be up the discretion of the enforcing officer.

6 hours ago, Smasher said:

I wonder where do they will draw the line? ie: What if you're fishing from a platform 3+ meters above the waterline where the waves will never get you. Or fishing from inside facing rocks eg: Browns rock. I guess it'll be up the discretion of the enforcing officer.

i think what they do now is set out the coastline area (yellow and black) you need to use a life jacket

randwick-local-government-area-28112016.