Good combo for Murray cod

Omally

Hi guys just wandering if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction... I'm after a good combo rod and reel for Murray cod I wanted to get a bait caster reel,  but have had bad experiences with em years ago tangling and what not but I see heaps of people use them these days didn't want to spend to much hoping around 200  and the rod something that's good for casting big lures and something that's not to flexible that when I'm reeling in the lure looks like I got a fish on haha,  oh and I wanted to use like 20-30 pound braid 

Edited by Omally

5 hours ago, Omally said:

Hi guys just wandering if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction... I'm after a good combo rod and reel for Murray cod I wanted to get a bait caster reel,  but have had bad experiences with em years ago tangling and what not but I see heaps of people use them these days didn't want to spend to much hoping around 200  and the rod something that's good for casting big lures and something that's not to flexible that when I'm reeling in the lure looks like I got a fish on haha,  oh and I wanted to use like 20-30 pound braid 

You don't need to go overboard with Cod gear. They're not the greatest fighting fish in the world. A3-6 or 4-6 kg rod with a 4000 or 6000 spinning reel will do the job. However if you want to go with the baitcaster option a Shimano Raider in 6 -10 kg and a Shimano baitcaster reel will do the trick Join the braid to the leader with an FG knot. If you need any more advice, ask away. Cheers, bn

Thanks for the reply big Neil... Yeah mate Im currently using a 4-8 kilo ugly stick with a 4000 sienna reel and by memory 12 pound braid  it's really good for smaller lures but with that deep diving invader lure I found the rod was a Lil light and had quite a bend on it and was thinking what if I did get a fish would I get it in ... This outfit I want solely for that big one.. I was looking at the shimano caenon bait caster with like a 10 kilo rod running 25 to 30 pound braid all up comes to 230 with the line.. Definitely don't want to spend any more than that maybe a couple of them rat lures look pretty sweet to 

Edited by Omally

12 hours ago, Omally said:

Thanks for the reply big Neil... Yeah mate Im currently using a 4-8 kilo ugly stick with a 4000 sienna reel and by memory 12 pound braid  it's really good for smaller lures but with that deep diving invader lure I found the rod was a Lil light and had quite a bend on it and was thinking what if I did get a fish would I get it in ... This outfit I want solely for that big one.. I was looking at the shimano caenon bait caster with like a 10 kilo rod running 25 to 30 pound braid all up comes to 230 with the line.. Definitely don't want to spend any more than that maybe a couple of them rat lures look pretty sweet to 

I have an outfit the same as what you're suggesting and it is fine for trolling big lures and casting fairly large lures and spinnerbaits. I have 30 lb braid and 40 lb leader (FG knot). You will land any Cod with that gear provided you are aware of the fact that graphite rods don't have the amount of bend in them that your Ugly Stik will. You will still end up with sore wrists after a days casting LOL. Have a look at the post in articles about Murray Cod, it has pictures of the tackle on it. bn

Edited by big Neil
additional information.

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

I have an outfit the same as what you're suggesting and it is fine for trolling big lures and casting fairly large lures and spinnerbaits. I have 30 lb braid and 40 lb leader (FG knot). You will land any Cod with that gear provided you are aware of the fact that graphite rods don't have the amount of bend in them that your Ugly Stik will. You will still end up with sore wrists after a days casting LOL. Have a look at the post in articles about Murray Cod, it has pictures of the tackle on it. bn

Cheers big Neil thanks for that yeah I love my ugly sticks always have might grab a caenon and a 10 kg ugly stick... Cheers mate that fg looks pretty hard? Might go practice that one I think looks the goods 

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

You don't need to go overboard with Cod gear. They're not the greatest fighting fish in the world. A3-6 or 4-6 kg rod with a 4000 or 6000 spinning reel will do the job. However if you want to go with the baitcaster option a Shimano Raider in 6 -10 kg and a Shimano baitcaster reel will do the trick Join the braid to the leader with an FG knot. If you need any more advice, ask away. Cheers, bn

Edited by Omally

No worries will do I've been using an albright knot but I did lose a big spinnerbait the other week snapped at the knot... Not sure if it was the knot or the line got weak or something I did tie it about 2 years ago maybe it was that

Edited by Omally