Rod challenge

JonD

Took my daughter and her friend out for a quick session today who had set themselves a $20 rod challenge. They picked up a couple of fun little graphite rod reel sets from a local tackle store and were keen to see who could land the best fish of the day.

Plenty of nannygui and some nice little snapper had the rods bending double, unfortunately all the kings they hooked straightened the soft plastic hooks.

An afternoon in the kayaks had them catch and releasing plenty of bass on the little rods up the back of the Tuross river.

_MG_5807.jpg

_MG_5830.jpg

_MG_5780.jpg

_MG_5790.jpg

_MG_5810.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I got one up here off Swansea in 90mtrs a few years back..pulled like a freight train..went 4.5 kgs...not bad tucker ...rick

I've seen them swimming on the surface with sunfish offshore, I first thought they were blue eye trevala!!!!

Good catch and thanks again for the photos.   

Did $20 challenge include just a rod, or rod  reel set (incl. Sienna on the photo)?

If you want to take the challenge to the next level - Big orange snake store has regularly mojiko  rider? combos on sale for $10. Reel is cr@p , however rod is reasonably good for casting lures within its weight range. I liked its size (below 6") for casting lures  from difficult areas -near/under the hanging  trees/bushes etc. Short butt allows easy working lures from kayak. 

8 hours ago, savit said:

Good catch and thanks again for the photos.   

Did $20 challenge include just a rod, or rod  reel set (incl. Sienna on the photo)?

If you want to take the challenge to the next level - Big orange snake store has regularly mojiko  rider? combos on sale for $10. Reel is cr@p , however rod is reasonably good for casting lures within its weight range. I liked its size (below 6") for casting lures  from difficult areas -near/under the hanging  trees/bushes etc. Short butt allows easy working lures from kayak. 

Well spotted, the outfits came with a reel that wouldn't hold enough line to reach the 60m depth they swapped over to the 2500 sienna. I've been very impressed with those little reels and noticed the new sponsor has them under $40 so may well grab a couple more.

They caught and released over 40 bass today on the rods which have now become my daughters favorate  rod.

19 hours ago, JonD said:

Well spotted, the outfits came with a reel that wouldn't hold enough line to reach the 60m depth they swapped over to the 2500 sienna. I've been very impressed with those little reels and noticed the new sponsor has them under $40 so may well grab a couple more.

They caught and released over 40 bass today on the rods which have now become my daughters favorate  rod.

The sponsor's Sienna is a newer model.  I think Shimano reduced from 2 ball bearings to 1 in it.  If they drop the last one in the next model  then that will be the cheapest "waterproof " reel with 10 year warranty ?.

What lures and line did she use for bass from kayak?

3 hours ago, savit said:

The sponsor's Sienna is a newer model.  I think Shimano reduced from 2 ball bearings to 1 in it.  If they drop the last one in the next model  then that will be the cheapest "waterproof " reel with 10 year warranty ?.

What lures and line did she use for bass from kayak?

Bassday Sugapen Fishing Lures

23 minutes ago, richard_pdc said:

Hi Jon 

taking the the kids down to race course beach . where is the best place to take them inside in a boat for a fish was thinking meroo lake or Tuross  , what would be the  best place ? 

Regards 

Ritchie

Either can fish well but I would personally opt for Tuross as Narooma gets to busy. 

Tuross has some quite shallow areas but fishes well, having the fish and chip shop where you can also grab some bait and ice cream for the kids is handy. Some of my daughters friends have been catching jews most evenings in the deeper sections too.

My kids are going to target some whiting this afternoon over the shallow flats closer to the river mouth later today in the Tuross.