port kembla / shellharbour

fisholb

hi raiders

need advice on taking a 4.5m quintrex with 50hp around port kembla / shellharbour this xmas holidays

which ramp is the closest to hill60 or bass point

planning to troll targeting kingys and bonito

never  been around port kembla or shellharbour on a small boat before

any advice will be highly appreciated

thanks in advance

There is also a ramp at Shellharbour. Kings are off the break walls and around the islands. Be careful going between the shore and island to get to Hill 60. Very shallow and can break where you don’t expect it. 

Orange mark is ramp at port Kembla. Bugger all parking though. 

D9525E13-48F1-4430-BA5A-E1AE072FB8C6.jpeg

On 23/12/2017 at 11:43 AM, recurve said:

There is also a ramp at Shellharbour. Kings are off the break walls and around the islands. Be careful going between the shore and island to get to Hill 60. Very shallow and can break where you don’t expect it. 

Orange mark is ramp at port Kembla. Bugger all parking though. 

D9525E13-48F1-4430-BA5A-E1AE072FB8C6.jpeg

thanks for the info mate

On 23/12/2017 at 10:38 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

kiama has a good ramp with open access to the sea..not far to bass pt..plenty of reefs close by...rick

hi mate

how long does it take from kiama to shellharbour by boat with 4.5m 50hp doing 10knots 

thanks for your help

Don’t think it would be worth it. Long way and be much easier by car. 

If you fish in port make sure you don’t anchor in the harbour as you can be fined and same goes for getting within 50m of the jetty’s. There is also a restricted area you can’t go into so make sure you know where that is before venturing further up into the harbour. 

i fish the south side of bass point on a regular basis, i launch at kiama takes me max about 15-20mins to run up to there can be a bit washy going past bombo but otherwise its pretty much a straight trip, theres ramps at port kembla, shellharbour and kiama just depends on where you want to fish i suppose, kiamas a great ramp with good facilities

On 25/12/2017 at 1:42 PM, recurve said:

Don’t think it would be worth it. Long way and be much easier by car. 

If you fish in port make sure you don’t anchor in the harbour as you can be fined and same goes for getting within 50m of the jetty’s. There is also a restricted area you can’t go into so make sure you know where that is before venturing further up into the harbour. 

planning to fish hill60 

how long will it take to get there from the port kembla ramp

currently checking the spot using my navionics app on my iphone atm

thanks for all the info

On 25/12/2017 at 2:11 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

from kiama to the front of bass pt is 4.5nm  another 2nm to shellharbour..there is good reef all out from this area...iv caught marlin 1/2 mile off bass pt....you can launch anywhere down that way...it just boils down to personal choice...rick

can u pls pm me some gps markers if u dont mind

thank u very much

9 hours ago, rozza_b said:

i fish the south side of bass point on a regular basis, i launch at kiama takes me max about 15-20mins to run up to there can be a bit washy going past bombo but otherwise its pretty much a straight trip, theres ramps at port kembla, shellharbour and kiama just depends on where you want to fish i suppose, kiamas a great ramp with good facilities

been fishing hill60 and bass pt off the rocks since 2008

want to try off the boat this summer

planning to bring the boat on jan 6-7 depending on the weather

thanks for the info

Port Kembla harbour to hill 60 is a realitively short run.  Once you are out past the breakwall  you can see hill 60. Should only take 15 mins or so. When you are there you can steam through a gap between the islands to get to the more productive southern side - but I  would advise a first timer to head  the long way round  and go  around the island. only take a few minutes longer.

On the southern side I have trolled up some good sized kings. A bit further south out along port beach is a great place to drift for flatties.

23 hours ago, Evets said:

Port Kembla harbour to hill 60 is a realitively short run.  Once you are out past the breakwall  you can see hill 60. Should only take 15 mins or so. When you are there you can steam through a gap between the islands to get to the more productive southern side - but I  would advise a first timer to head  the long way round  and go  around the island. only take a few minutes longer.

On the southern side I have trolled up some good sized kings. A bit further south out along port beach is a great place to drift for flatties.

thanks for the info mate

yes ill be going around the island dont want to risk hitting those rocks