SeaKnight ss1000 Reel review

BrassRoots

So a few months ago I picked up a cheapo reel online. I wanted a 1000 size reel for. 1-3kg rod I had also recently bought. Normally I would go with my fav the shimano Sedona but money is tight so had to branch out. 

Decided that $50 max for a reel was what I could afford. 

Locally the quality for $50 and less is garbage. Plastic spoils etc. so went online. Started tossing up between kastking and seaknight. Ended up going with the seaknight ss1000 as it came with a spare spool. It was also $36. 

Both spools are metal with the main spool being shallower with a carbon drag and the main spool deeper with a felt drag. 

First thing I did was strip it right down to inspect the components. I found several flaw immediately. The body was completely unsealed. There are two oil/grease ports on the bottom that are only sealed by loose fitting plastic. The second major flaw is that none of the bearings are shielded. So I greased and oiled it to the gills.

This was bought for land based estuary fishing so I'm not anticipating much longevity. 

Performance wise it is fine for bream and flathead but haven't landed  anything of a decent size yet. The build is also pretty solid and is nice to use. But i don't like the way the line comes off the main spool. It feels like there is too much resistance. 

Result: I could have bought a shimano Sienna for $43. I'd recommend doing that instead. 

As i was reading. I thought “why not buy a sienna?” I do see seaknight and kastking reviews on youtube once in a while, while they work well. The drags are lumpy/sticky and longtivity seems to be an issue. 

Lowest ill stoop in a reel is a sienna

keep us updated on the reel

the old saying is true...you get what you pay for...I bought a DMK reel..cheap but I had to fully lubricate internals and grease drag properly...it works fine but doesn't have the nice solid feel of a better quality reel...it was bought as a spare for guests in the boat and doesn't get used a lot but does the job nicely...tip;be careful buying buyin reels and rods off the internet as they are usually lesser quality than they appear..rick