Hi, New Member (with Question)

nik

Hi Guys,

I've been a member for a a little while but this is my first post. Firstly I just wanted to say that this is a great forum that has tought me a lot in the short time I've been here :thumbup: .

I went fishing today at Bundeena and caught this shark(??) but have no idea what it is? I thought some of the members might have an idea? I've done some investigation but have not been able to comeup with much. Initially I thought it may be a gummy shark but found out I was wrong. If it help it had no teeth (it had plate like crushing things), it had barbels around its mouth, and it appeared to have very tiny eyes.

post-944-1131276559_thumb.jpg

post-944-1131276593_thumb.jpg

post-944-1131276627_thumb.jpg

We also found this guys in a rockpool about 30m from where we were fishing, bit a shock to be honest, I think it's some type of python, any ideas??

post-944-1131276659_thumb.jpg

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Nik

Edited by nik

The snake appears to be a diamond python (unless it was smaller than 45cm which would surprise me in that area!) Its patterning is a little different to normal though.

Daimonds are very common in the RNP, non venomous but can still give you a nasty bite if you dont know how to handle them. As with all snakes best to just leave them alone if they are not presenting any immedate danger.

The blind shark call sounds pretty good too.

the guys are right its a blind shark.

I was gonna say you're fishing too deep if you're catching them but then I saw your float. Anyway maybe try fishing you baits shallower or fish deeper water, either way when fishing the rocks, always keep your baits off the bottom, the good fish are in the top 3/4 of the water column. I reckon snakes are the coolest things, but I always shit myself when I see them in the wild, they give me the creeps.

Just for everyones safety

The area in Royal Nat park also hosts another snake that has very similar markings to the Diamond python and has been mistaken quite a bit for one.

Except for one thing.

It is quite venomous.

Cant think of its name though

Boppa

It is smaller than most diamonds too

The little bugger that you are thinking of Boppa is the Broadheaded snake.

Extemely unlikely to find one in RNP as they have a very small distribution area in Northeren Sydney and are rare there.

Its well worth keeping in mind though!!!

100 % right about it being a Blind shark, also called a Brown catshark (well by my old man anyway). The two nasal barbels and pale spots give it away.

Strange you caught it during the day, they usually only feed at night... :wacko:

I got one a few weeks ago just out of Marley beach also in the day

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, I had a look at some pics of a blind shark on the net and that definately what it was.

By the sounds of it the snake was probably a Diamond as it was around 2 meters long. We took a couple of photos and left him/her be. It was quite exciting to actually see on in it's natural habitat.

Thanks for the tip Bashir :thumbup:

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

Sharky, no rela tion to the barefoot bushman but I was in so much pain by the end of the day, as there were those tiny little shells all over the rocks.

Nik

Its a bit expensive but get a hold of Grant's "Fishes of Australia"....one of the better books around re Fish.... Your fish above (as all our fellow Raiders have correctly called it) is a Blind Shark, listed as Brachaelurus waddi (for those of us such as Bluecod that want a definitive answer...lol)....................

Better fishing next time pal

[quote

Sharky, no rela tion to the barefoot bushman but I was in so much pain by the end of the day, as there were those tiny little shells all over the rocks.

Nik

Hi Nik,that was the second thing I spotted when I saw the shark you had.I might suggest that you invest in some expensive volleys or the like next time you fish at that spot!!.Good to see you had some fun at least . :1prop:

ps :1welcomeani:

Simon