Single hook or trebled?

Time28

I'm after people's opinions on whether it's worth changing the trebles on metal lures to a single hook.  Does it affect the action of the lure or hook rate? I'm using 5-10gram metals at the moment to catch Bonito. As most fish are released I was thinking a single hook would cause less damage to the fish.

Thanks, Tim

Change to single hooks and come over the light side.

I've been using them for over a decade and prefer them. I was introduced to them by a gentleman at my local tackle store who was telling me about a session where the trebles had damaged too many fish and he felt guilty about it so he switched.

For comparable hook size I find they are stronger than trebles and it is quicker to release the fish (try removing a treble from both the top and bottom lips of a tailor which doesn't want to open its mouth).

For the 10 gram metals I usually use a large eye Gamakatsu size 1 hook and a size 2 for the 5 gram. Hold up the single against the original treble and you will see what looks right. I don't think my hook up rate is significantly less than my mates using trebles and most of the people in my group have made the switch after seeing the advantages.

Make the change.

I've also changed out the trebles on the trolling lures used from my kayak. I don't want to impale myself with a treble when trying to unhook a madly jumping fish. Belly hook pointing down, tail hook pointing up (a bet each way).

Edited by DerekD

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Change to single hooks and come over the light side.

I've been using them for over a decade and prefer them. I was introduced to them by a gentleman at my local tackle store who was telling me about a session where the trebles had damaged too many fish and he felt guilty about it so he switched.

For comparable hook size I find they are stronger than trebles and it is quicker to release the fish (try removing a treble from both the top and bottom lips of a tailor which doesn't want to open its mouth).

For the 10 gram metals I usually use a large eye Gamakatsu size 1 hook and a size 2 for the 5 gram. Hold up the single against the original treble and you will see what looks right. I don't think my hook up rate is significantly less than my mates using trebles and most of the people in my group have made the switch after seeing the advantages.

Make the change.

I've also changed out the trebles on the trolling lures used from my kayak. I don't want to impale myself with a treble when trying to unhook a madly jumping fish. Belly hook pointing down, tail hook pointing up (a bet each way).

Thanks Derek I will be changing to singles.

50 minutes ago, Regan said:

i would change to singles 

they dont pull as easy and i find they have a better hook up rate

how are you going on the bonito also

Had a good morning on the Bonito today at Terrigal heaps of hook ups from 6am till about 8:30am then all went quiet.

I tried the single hooks on lures, and the fish were still spitting out the hooks. Used the Gamakatsu singles.

The bonito of late have been spitting out the trebles.

The singles I used to buy for lures (cannot remember the hook name or style) are hard to locate (a single hook with no Kirby, that is, a straight hook with no bend along the shank)

1 hour ago, Time28 said:

Had a good morning on the Bonito today at Terrigal heaps of hook ups from 6am till about 8:30am then all went quiet.

thanks heaps mate, heading out to terrigal tommorow morning on my yak, hopefully get a few

14 hours ago, Yowie said:

I tried the single hooks on lures, and the fish were still spitting out the hooks. Used the Gamakatsu singles.

The bonito of late have been spitting out the trebles.

The singles I used to buy for lures (cannot remember the hook name or style) are hard to locate (a single hook with no Kirby, that is, a straight hook with no bend along the shank)

I put on Owner 1/0 single hook this morning. Dropped a couple of fish but releasing the fish with minimum damage was much easier with the single hook.

36 minutes ago, fisholb said:

use single inline hooks mate

i use mustad kaiju 

u can buy it from one of the big boating camping fishing shop

457F374A-6D64-4437-A81A-574A81FB6F03.jpeg

Which store is that one? I cannot find these hooks on website. 

I felt once very connected to impatient flathead by a lure with 2 trebles. We became blood brothers. 

On 12/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, Time28 said:

I'm after people's opinions on whether it's worth changing the trebles on metal lures to a single hook.  Does it affect the action of the lure or hook rate? I'm using 5-10gram metals at the moment to catch Bonito. As most fish are released I was thinking a single hook would cause less damage to the fish.

Thanks, Tim

I always change to singles only problem is the splitrings on smaller lures. As to hook up rates occasionally I will get a bump on a single that may have been a hook up on a trebble, but as far as catch release goes single hook is much easier for me. 

5 hours ago, fisholb said:

use single inline hooks mate

i use mustad kaiju 

u can buy it from one of the big boating camping fishing shop

457F374A-6D64-4437-A81A-574A81FB6F03.jpeg

Tried that style, did not like them, fish kept spitting the lure.

Not the style that I used to buy for use as singles on lures.

Edited by Yowie

Changed to singles on all my lures after an unfortunate release with an angry bonito.

Another advantage is you can use larger gauges than the trebles you replace - rough guide treble size + 2 to 3 - do a search on single lure size for guides.

I havent noticed a significant decrease in hookups & they are much easier to handle.

• Like 1