Who catches mullet??

Crookhaven

Hi raiders,

Does any body target/cook mullet? I remember  as a kid my uncles fishing for them on fixed lines on poles with dough bait and everybody(in nowra) was doing it  (early 90s), I got thinking about it after talking to my neighbour, He was raving about how good they are smoked so I wanted to see if I could catch us some these holidays, any tips? I never see anyone keeping mullet but ALWAYS see them cruising around so what's the go?  Why doesn't anybody chase them anymore?

i know there not a trophy fish but it's holidays and the river is chock a block with boats, wake boats and jet skis included, so I thought I'd take it easy and try something "simple" hahaha

cheers

jim

I've caught them at bobbin head on sabikis but only been there once and only time I've really consistently caught alot. Also caught them on sabikis at night in narrabeen lakes. Lots of people catch em on fly since thats their natural diet and also floating bread works apparently. Don't know if I'm any help but if u want any detail I'm here.

I target them with my little fella. My wife likes eating them, I don't find them too bad. Strong flavor.

Good bait for crabbing too. I have a bread cage suspended below a float with three hooks.I sometimes

put bread on the hooks. I buy the $1 no-brand sandwich loaves and use that to start a burly trail, then when the 

mullet turn up, I float my bread cage down to it and the mullet usually catch themselves. I do this at the entrance.

The other technique I have heard of but not tried, is to drop a live bait trap full of bread to the bottom, and then

put a paternoster rig beside it and you can catch them that way.

Good luck!