Squidgy whip bait vs fish

Aardvarking

I am wondering if anyone has had any luck catching jewfish on squidgy whip baits? I have been trying to target them for quite a while on 100mm and 120mm squidgy fish, and although I have caught plenty of flathead, I haven't had any luck catching any of those damned jewfish, which must be pointing and laughing at me by this point. My supply of big boy fish has nearly run out however, and I'm looking to get some replacements. Considering the lack of jewfish I have caught on my fish, I am thinking I might try a new plastic.

As someone who is a bit of a squidgy fanboy, I am intrigued by the whip baits, which according to Starlo and Bushy combine the best parts of 3 of Squidgy's best lures. But then again, Starlo and Bushy say a lot of things, so I can only take that with a grain of salt (sorry fellas, still a big fan). I would consider other brands if there as overwhelming cry for me to do so, but I'm really just looking at whether to invest in some new whip baits or stick with the fish.

Yes I have caught jewfish on the 125mm whipbaits in the white lightning colour. I prefer the squidgie fish when I can get them but the lures usually come bent out of the packet so that is one huge downside. The whipbaits are a little hardier, come our of the packet straighter and are better suited for fast moving and deeper water because they have less resistance travelling through the water and that makes it not as laborious to work them. They each have their place. 

The first fish is a tough one to crack. You can't go wrong with a paddle tail and if you persist, you should see results. You could always get both and see what you like better. 

8 hours ago, nbdshroom said:

Yes I have caught jewfish on the 125mm whipbaits in the white lightning colour. I prefer the squidgie fish when I can get them but the lures usually come bent out of the packet so that is one huge downside. The whipbaits are a little hardier, come our of the packet straighter and are better suited for fast moving and deeper water because they have less resistance travelling through the water and that makes it not as laborious to work them. They each have their place. 

The first fish is a tough one to crack. You can't go wrong with a paddle tail and if you persist, you should see results. You could always get both and see what you like better. 

Thanks mate, just the info I was looking for. I might buy a packet of the whipbaits and one of fish then, was planning on 2 packets of the whip baits. I also have the same problem with bent tails on the fish, so it's good to know you don't get that with the whips.

12 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I know some guys that target jew in lake mac and they only use vibes..nothing else..and they get plenty of fish on them..rick

Samaki Thumper tails (vibes) are apparently pretty good

have you seen the new squidgy bio range?

5 minutes ago, ARC H said:

Samaki Thumper tails (vibes) are apparently pretty good

have you seen the new squidgy bio range?

I've had a look at the soft vibe selections out there, but I'm not sure soft vibes are for me. Casting a 20 dollar sinking lure with 2 treble hooks at the bottom land based seems like a snag waiting to happen, feel like I could lose one by just looking at it. I'm also interested by the bio range, but considering they are about double the price of the regular fish I might hold off on buying some, and I'll see how other people do with them first.