Port Stephens

intern1

I have been reading alot of the reports lately around port stephens and am coming up from sydney for the weekend.

I was thinking of targeting corlette, salamander bay and around west bank/mantro bank on boat. Conditions look moderate  SE winds and cast over/rain 1-5mm. How does the bay fish in these conditions? Was going to target flathead whiting.

Also are there locations in the bay that get runs of snapper pelagics?

Cheers

John

Seal rocks is open beach launch  not good if seas are still up  not a spot for inexperienced beach launching...i beach launch often  but give seals a wide berth..there is a lot of good spots in the bay for flatties n such  wreck in salamander has jew occasionally and west island also...maybe scratchie has heard recent news..???...rick

The local estuary charter guide has been getting his clients bream, flathead, whiting, bonito and kings, so the fish are there. I have been focussing my efforts on outside but with the seas up I may fish the Bay tomorrow. I think I should follow the guide though! ? If I get a leave pass for tomorrow, I might drop a couple of crab traps and try and get out of the southerly (which shouldn’t be too strong anyway) on the other side of middle island. I haven’t had a great session on the flatties yet but they should be a chance from Corlette to Soldiers Point. The whiting have been around from reports I’ve read so you should get them with live worms.

Hey mate, 

Well, where to start..... probably not the most productive weekend for fishing the bay imo. We’ve had a lot of fishing pressure over the past 6 weeks. With the big tides the jew won’t be as previlant but maybe a chance at the wreck on a slack tide. If your looking for a reel screamer, trolling a livie at the breakwall your best bet, early morning or late arvo when there is low boat traffic. 

I’m hoping the flatty return and usually a few sps with a high tide in the arvo, flicking around any beaches on the eastern side of the bay is worth a shot! 

Whiting are in plague proportions and a nipper with a longshank hook a winner! 

Hope that helps! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

On 01/02/2018 at 7:53 AM, intern1 said:

I have been reading alot of the reports lately around port stephens and am coming up from sydney for the weekend.

I was thinking of targeting corlette, salamander bay and around west bank/mantro bank on boat. Conditions look moderate  SE winds and cast over/rain 1-5mm. How does the bay fish in these conditions? Was going to target flathead whiting.

Also are there locations in the bay that get runs of snapper pelagics?

Cheers

John

Hi John

Have a look at duffs bait and tackle website.

They have a current report as well as an area map with some GPS coordinates .

Hope this helps

Pete

• Like 1