Fishing at Magic Point

Richard2q2

Hey Fishraiders!

Recently I went down to Magic Point (marourbra) with my mate for a short fishing sesh.

We found a very nice spot there but it seemed almost impossible to reach the spot without performing at least a 2m+ jump down (and how would we even get back up?)

In the end, we ended up fishing on some overhead rock platforms which were at least 10+ metres above the water - very difficult to land any sizable fish

For people who have fished at Magic Point, where would you guys suggest us to specifically go?
If you guys know what spot I'm talking about, how would you guys get down/back up?

Highly appreciated!

Kind Regards, 
Richard

Edited by Richard2q2
Added (marourbra) for clarification

Definitely seen some guys fishing lower down at Magic Point while out on my yak...must use ropes to get down somehow.  Not many people fish Yellow Rock these days (for obvious reasons) and that's an easy passage down without requiring ropes.

Been heaps of kings out front there...but be careful lads and don't fish alone.

12 hours ago, Richard2q2 said:

Hey Fishraiders!

Recently I went down to Magic Point with my mate for a short fishing sesh.

We found a very nice spot there but it seemed almost impossible to reach the spot without performing at least a 2m+ jump down (and how would we even get back up?)

In the end, we ended up fishing on some overhead rock platforms which were at least 10+ metres above the water - very difficult to land any sizable fish

For people who have fished at Magic Point, where would you guys suggest us to specifically go?
If you guys know what spot I'm talking about, how would you guys get down/back up?

Highly appreciated!

Kind Regards, 
Richard

Magic or mistral point.

i am assuming Maroubra?

On 13/02/2018 at 11:37 PM, papafish said:

people use ropes to get down and up. but make sure your not alone and have your phone, just incase any unsavoury characters cut your robe

A bit curious as i'm thinking about getting down to some rocky areas myself, exactly what type of rope do you suggest using for the task? Any help would be appreciated!

Hey mate what sort of distance are you thinking of climbing/abseil? Petzl Ropes are a top quality go to man i used to run Contact 9.8mm which is a lightweight rope and really durable,(you can get a duratech style which still grips and handles well in the cold/wet weather) you can run it with a Petzl zigzag if you have the cash too ,think they cost about $300 but worth its weight in gold! Havent really had to climb anywhere for a long while but adds an extra element to getting to that new spot ;)

people use ropes to get down and up. but make sure your not alone and have your phone, just incase any unsavoury characters cut your robe

Magic point is accessible from continuing along base of cliffs. There was a plank at bight of large gutter when I used to fish it

no need for ropes

cossie

All I’m going to say is stay away from Yellow Rock. I’ve been home there many a time since the early 90’s. The access ladders are slowly rusting out. It’s getting dodgy but o get down. The place is a death trap it’s killed many anglers. It ain’t worth it. As for Magic Point Depends where abouts your fishing it as to access. I’ve never used ropes at Magic Point some access can be restricted by swell if heading into Dead Mans. 

Homestly if your Not sure of the area find someone who is to show you. 

On 14/02/2018 at 9:59 AM, VietGod said:

Definitely seen some guys fishing lower down at Magic Point while out on my yak...must use ropes to get down somehow.  Not many people fish Yellow Rock these days (for obvious reasons) and that's an easy passage down without requiring ropes.

Been heaps of kings out front there...but be careful lads and don't fish alone.

Yellow rock? Is that the flat platform down at magic point? 

2 hours ago, luderick -angler said:

All I’m going to say is stay away from Yellow Rock. I’ve been home there many a time since the early 90’s. The access ladders are slowly rusting out. It’s getting dodgy but o get down. The place is a death trap it’s killed many anglers. It ain’t worth it. As for Magic Point Depends where abouts your fishing it as to access. I’ve never used ropes at Magic Point some access can be restricted by swell if heading into Dead Mans. 

Homestly if your Not sure of the area find someone who is to show you. 

Dead man's?