Soft plastics off the beach

Psycho fisho

Hi guys 

I am heading down to Augusta for a weekend in a couple of weeks and will be stuck landbased and l am looking at  throwing soft plastics or blades off the beaches and rocks but l don't know what to use l will mainly be targeting skippy, tailor, mulloway, salmon and anything else so what plastics or blades are best off the beach and what size jig head?

Thanks in advance

I would say depends on water depth of you're talking from the rocks. Although Tailor tend to be surface feeders as far as I've seen. If the wind is working with you, metal slices all the way down to 10g or even 7g. If the wind is really pushing hard in your face then I find 20g works better. If the water is pretty deep you can go as heavy as your rod will throw pretty much and that will help you get down to the bottom. 

From the beach especially, being able to throw out to where the fish are feeding makes all the difference. Watch for the birds, they'll be chasing the baitfish that are being scared and/or shredded near the surface. If you can cast out to where the birds are hovering/diving, you almost can't not catch fish. 

Do be careful though, sometimes birds can be fooled by lures as well. 

99914FB9-01F9-4DBF-8CDF-5506E74D8E83.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

I would say depends on water depth of you're talking from the rocks. Although Tailor tend to be surface feeders as far as I've seen. If the wind is working with you, metal slices all the way down to 10g or even 7g. If the wind is really pushing hard in your face then I find 20g works better. If the water is pretty deep you can go as heavy as your rod will throw pretty much and that will help you get down to the bottom. 

From the beach especially, being able to throw out to where the fish are feeding makes all the difference. Watch for the birds, they'll be chasing the baitfish that are being scared and/or shredded near the surface. If you can cast out to where the birds are hovering/diving, you almost can't not catch fish. 

Do be careful though, sometimes birds can be fooled by lures as well. 

Thanks for your feed back but l was asking what soft plastics can you use off the beach

99914FB9-01F9-4DBF-8CDF-5506E74D8E83.jpeg

1 hour ago, Psycho fisho said:

Sorry about that. To clarify, 7g is about 1/4 oz, that's part of what I was getting at. Bigger jig heads from the beach than you would normally use because you have to be able to cast them farther. I've had good luck with 7/16 oz pre-rigged Berkeley swim shad. Good action and heavy enough to properly launch them. I've also used Gulp sand worms. 

Why soft plastics? I would suggest metal lures for tailor and salmon. You could also try some of the new heavy casting minnow style lures such as Jackson Pintails which are proving successful of the beach. 

That said I have done much better using bait off the beach.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Why soft plastics? I would suggest metal lures for tailor and salmon. You could also try some of the new heavy casting minnow style lures such as Jackson Pintails which are proving successful of the beach. 

That said I have done much better using bait off the beach.

I agree SP wasted on tailor and metal will get you salmon as well.