Sydney Kings

bojulabah

Took a few newbies to fishing out over the past few weeks with mediocre results. Minimum catch was 3 and max 12, all in the harbour. Went out on Wednesday, weather predictions were not good, 20-30 kn SE, 2 m swell, but went anyway - Seriolitis (Kingfish fever) is a sad addiction.

i rarely ever go by myself, but everyone else was working so I had to stay awake towing the boat, but it was worth it - 7 nice Kings and a 90cm whaler -put the pic in show length of tail for those not familiar. The most common species of sharks I’ve encountered have been Bronze whalers, Mako’s  (sometimes called Blue sharks, but these are a different species, but bey similar), Ordinary Whalers, is in pic. Both species are good eating if you kill and bleed straightaway, otherwise they have an ammonia taste. The other pretty common species are hammerheads. Bull sharks are also relatively common. Some of these get BIG, and usually a fast & furious fight ending in bust up.

On a late afternoon trip last winter (bigger Kings seem to be more prominent in afternoon in late winter) recently hooked a big whaler (estimated around 150-200kg,  it a bit hard to tell when in the water) through the lip with a 9/0 circle and 120kg Fluro leader. It took 80 mins to get the side of the boat and fought hard like a king all the way - I thought I was going to be in the front page of fishing monthly - alas a shark.

anyway, Kings are still on and don’t let the weather put you off Raiders.

771E50D5-8D77-4044-8990-3CEE2C72F3AC.jpeg

FC505021-AE8E-4C51-A71A-254A5ED4DE1B.jpeg

• Like 2

good report  nice to hear kings are playing the game..i hook plenty of sharks while snapper fishing..berley trails have that affect..they usually go hard and ive nearly been spooled twice in two trips..luckily I usually get bit off fishing straight 15lb mono..rick

• Like 1

Great report Bojulabah and plenty of fresh fish to last you a while. Are Kings on throughout Winter in the Harbour area, would be great to have a go at catching one? Never caught one but would love to. Surprised at the number of sharks you catch in the Harbour. I guess they feed on the same things that the Kingies do? Cheers, bn