Dyed bait

Volitan

Are you talking about that flouro green dye you used to get? Chartreuse, I think the colour was. I used to carry a bottle years ago. I may still have it somewhere. In certain situations, it was supposed to make the bait more attractive/stand out to fish. I had mixed results with it. Maybe I should have tried it last Monday when I got donuts! ?

I don’t know the product you’re referring to, but I think it used to be around in the 70s. There are current makers - I think Vicious and BadAss in the US make bait dyes.

never tried it myself.

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Was called glo.bait  worked well lbg for longtails n cobes  also worked very well in the 80s on yellowfin in berley trails..we used the original stuff was called sodium fliurescene and was used for crack testing pipes...rick

That’s it... Globait. ?

For testing crack pipes? ?

havnt seen it for ages..will investigate further..hey baz  the first stuff we had was in the 80s and was powder form in a jar..looked orange/brown in colour..you dug some out on eye of hook and smeared it into gills of pillie and up its rear  then throw in water on circle hook..glowed bright green but looked like blood oozing out as it sank..the big y/fin we were chasing woul race up the trail an inhale them like there was no tomorrow...the y/fin in the golden oldies was cayght on it...I think you may be able to get it still..sodium flouroscene...they  put it into welded pipes and things under pressure then if it leaks bright green trail can be tracked to fault in weld...rick

• Like 1

A quick Google on sodium flouresence shows it’s still available and is used for pipes as Rick suggested, as well as eye surgery, pathology and laboratory work.

i should point out that I am interested in this because at the place where I often fish the bottom is covered with a band of sea grass. I can’t cast past the sea grass, and stopping short of the sea grass leaves me fishing a bit shallow. Does make me wonder how easily the fish pick the bait out in amongst the sea grass. Obviousl6 it relies on scent alone - not sure that’s enough.

as I understand it the globait type of bait dye works mainly because it’s flourescent. Flouresnce is the property of an object giving off more visible light then it absorbs. I expect that means that some of the light in the invisible parts of the spectrum are converted into visible light as they are reflected. This works for humans who see fluorescent things as unnaturally bright, and fish are even more tuned into this part of the spectrum, apparently. Therefore, I get this mental picture of my flourescent-dyed bait lying there among all the dull greys and greens of the bottom but standing out like a hi-vis shirt on a grey day.

I have been putting beach worms in metho to preserve them for years, than a mate told me to put red food colouring in it.  = red worms. Works very well. Often as good as  fresh worms.  Howard. 

the flouro green colour turns to red in the water and looks like blood pouring from the bait...in te 80s fishin pro for y/fin we used to have 80kg fish in the trail that wouldn't eat anything..throw globait on pilly chuck in water  ..who rang the dinner bell.????they would fly up an scoff the pillie like it was their last feed...just located some..will put up store after I buy some..lol...rick

I tried the dyed beach/blood worms over the weekend. I was actually very surprised when I went into the tackle store and saw them. 

I didn’t know what to think but I tried them anyway. I was very surprised with the success I had, particularly with whiting 

Fufu

35 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Checked that sponsors dont have this product   contact fishingtackleshop they have some in stock  just bought some...lookout spanish in three weeks...rick

Thanks. I just ordered mine.

Will post results - which in my case will be using it for cut baits on bream, flathead etc.

arron

• 5 years later...

I have been playing around with food colouring on chicken breasts for bait and came across this post from 2018 Just wonderting rickmarlin62 if you have had good results since re discovering this product and if you are still using it?

6 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

If you use a small syringe and inject some into the side of a slimy  they glow green in a matter of 20 seconds  spanish an longtails luv it   also works on big reds   sshhhh  secret

Worked well with John Dory.. We used to put it in the burley when chasing dollies also