Supermarket (frozen) squid and octopus?

chokpa

I've seen frozen squid tubes like this in the shops: https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-national/product/hanabi-frozen-squid-tubes-u7

and fresh stuff like: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/15639/baby-octopus-cleaned

Has anyone tried using them as bait? Any luck? I've read that a lot of 'fresh' seafood has actually been frozen on the boat and then thawed in the supermarket. So frozen seafood is actually the same as fresh seafood but hasnt been unthawed. Have seen a lot of forum posts about prawns but not much about squid/octopus.

PS By comparison fresh squid at my tackle shop is $45/kg! Good for some sessions but when im going down for a casual flick feels like a waste.

frozen squid works fine, caught plenty of fish on it over the years

just be cautious if you're going to use supermarket seafood as bait check the country of origin as alot of it comes from Asia, I'm not sure if you've heard about the outbreak of white spot disease in Queensland prawns but it's thought it came from the use of supermarket bought green prawns as bait  

• Like 1

I have caught plenty of fish on quality frozen or food quality fresh squid , Jews and Kings included but, the results are so much better with live or recently dead squid.

The fishing guides in the Harbour ( who need to get results) will spend perhaps 3 hours in the morning looking for and catching live squid - that's how important they believe it is.

In the US many who target swordfish dye their thawed squid using food colouring.

I have seen some guys in Sydney use dyed squid ( Purple food colouring) around the wedding cakes with quite good results.

Cheers

Jim

• Thanks 1

I would say depends on your aim i.e as fragmiester said the pros swear by live squid but they do have a to fill a half day fishing time slot. But if you just want to catch a fish servo prawns will do. If I want to kill an hour or so doing what I love I would flick some lures its amazing what can happen.

If you are specifically chasing kings and jewies then you really want live fresh squid or squid that you have caught yourself and frozen. If the $45/kilo stuff from the tackle shop is fresh from the trawler as a bait squid it is probaby a much better bait. The food stuff and particulary the tubes have been cleaned and normally had contact with fresh water which is no good. You will catch fish on it but not as many good fish. If you are only going for short trips for bream and flathead etc you can buy a 1kg back of good quality frozen hawkesbury prawns  and keep them in the freezer. If you drop the bag on the concrete they will seperate and you can just take what you need for a single trip in a clip lock tupperware container. Just make sure they are kept in a sealed/airtight container in the freezer so they dont burn

22 hours ago, chokpa said:

that's quite interesting cos many take the skin off their squid because they believe the white flesh is more visible!

Yes, I get that but sometimes I think the fish get a little spooked if it doesn't look right... and a bright white a quid may not look quite right. The day purple dye returns the dead squid to approximately the colour of a live squid.

I have mentioned this before but I have noticed that kings eating scraps  in the burley trail may completely ignore anything you throw at them unless you completely hide the hook. Then they will take the bait which suggests to me that they refuse it because it looks a little odd.

On a good day of course you can throw pretty much anything at them and they will inhale it... particularly rats.

Cheers

Jim