Bait fish trap to catch yakkas on the boat

Milt

Hi lads,

I'm looking for recommendations as to which types of bait fish trap I could buy and hang in the current that would be capable of catching a few yakkas for live bait and also keeping them alive? I suspect the majority of standard types would spin in the current etc.

Thanks Milt,

Only very small bait traps are legal in NSW, used them plenty of times for small mullet, just use sabikis for yakka's or a small baited hook- there are flow through bait buckets available but never tried one.

I find sabiki jigs too messy on a boat to many hooks flying around getting caught and tangled I'd prefer to hang a trap over the side to catch a few and keep them alive whilst I target bigger stuff. I might checkout the plastic collapsible traps at a shop.

Thanks Milt,

With sabiki use a sinker way, way too big for what you think you need. We use three quarter pounders and cut every second hook off. The majority of the time we only have the three hooks on there especially when jigging slimies

We used to waste time with bait etc on catching livies- but in 99 % of situations we catch them much faster with sabikis. We use a very aggresive approach and simply sound the schools out and bomb them with sabikis on as big a sinker as the depth and current dictates- if im not marking bait then we dont drop- 99% of the time the bites will come on the drop so we just drop then wind up above the school and drop again- just leave the motor running and keep chasing the marks on the sounder- another hint for sabikis is when you are winding them in with fish on grab the sinker and then try to shake the livies into the tank- stops nearly all the tangles- sabikis are disposable items, i rarely get more than 2 uses out of a set- also most of the brand name ones - Yamashita etc seem to work much better than the no names. Funny thing though I still strike the odd spot where small hook and a bit of bait works best- these places tend to be spots with very little current eg Cowan Creek

As far as know yakkas wont trap  if u dont like sabikis use single hook and split shot..you can buy collapsible wire mesh cages to keep them alive in  you cant miss em they are blue in colour some have a plastic floating lid..rick