Fly Fishing - Lithgow/Blue Mountains

SCSA 3:16

Hoping to find a fly fishing mentor!!

I live in the Hills area of Sydney and I've recently started fresh water fly fishing. My casting is....decent, I've got a 4 weight rod and I'd like to start chasing some trout, bass.....any fresh water fish really.

I've tried Thompson's Creek Dam and Lake Wallace with absolutely no luck..... I've been trying to match  my fly with whatever bugs have been around but I haven't had a single hook up....starting to feel like the only way I'm going to get anywhere is by forking out $$$$ for a guide. My experience is that the fly fishing community seems to be pretty tight lipped until you start throwing money at them (in regards to locations), but I can understand protecting spots from the Sydney masses.

My availability is all over the shop, shift worker..... I usually have a few week days free.

Preferred locations are around Colo River, Lithgow and anywhere up the mountains. 

I've got all my own gear.

Thanks!

Edited by SCSA 3:16

1 hour ago, swordfisherman said:

Try green woolly buggers at thommos or a gold bead nymph about a metre deep with an indicator 

Ok will give this a try. Thanks for that!

I was there yesterday from about 8.30am, did a complete lap around the dam and didn't even see a fish. Do people tend to wade in a bit (before the massive drop) and cast from there? 

I haven't seen any other anglers there when I've been to try and get an idea. 

Wading is illegal in TCD as is fishing from the wall, I don't flyfish anymore however as swordie mentions a green woolly bugger is a pretty good choice for that area. Some fairly deep spots on the far side of the dam you can fish without wading.

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

What report? He’s looking for a mentor! 

Had a chuckle at this.

16 hours ago, cfish said:

Wading is illegal in TCD as is fishing from the wall, I don't flyfish anymore however as swordie mentions a green woolly bugger is a pretty good choice for that area. Some fairly deep spots on the far side of the dam you can fish without wading.

The sign out the front says you can wade in 2 metres from the shore. Thanks for that info, I'll head straight around to the far side next week when I go. 

3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

There is a website that is pretty informative called www.bluemountainsfishing.net/ , have a look for some background info including streams and rivers.

Thanks for posting that. I've been right through that site and I've got a few spots I intend on visiting.

I tried a stretch of Cox's river specifically mentioned on that website, main street off castlreagh where the bridge is, if anyone knows about it. It just seemed overgrown and lifeless. Lead me to think some of the info on there is a bit outdated. 

Fish might run up the rivers if we get a decent downpour this weekend, you might want to look a bit more off the beaten track- a good hint is have a look at getting to the Coxes/Jenolan River junction this winter good luck

Spent the last few days all around Oberon and Janolen area. Some well known spots and some less well known ones.

Sweet F A.

If it wasn't for the internet I don't think I'd believe there were trout in this direction  ?

I spent hours walking up and down with my polarised sunnies, sneaking around and popping up like some kind of ninja f'ing meerkat. Haven't even seen a trout. 

Would also encourage people to keep their spots top secret. The amount of trash that scum bags think it's ok to just leave behind is ridiculous. I ain't no lefty tree hugger but that pisses me right off. 

Soooo can anyone reccommend a fly fishing guide? ?

Edited by SCSA 3:16

Umm  I hardly fly fish any more as I've given up the 4WD for a sportier car... and I sold all my fly equipment...

Can you tell me what you're doing on your cast and how far are you casting???

Are you floating you bug into the region you want to fish or are you casting into the region?

EDIT; Actually if you haven't found a guide or nailed the formula within 2 weeks, ill bring my spinning gear and hunt trout and bass with lures whilst I walk you though and provide tips and tricks...

Also can you show me the flies you are tying or buying?

Edited by connico