flushing your Outboard and what Revs?

jeffb5.8

43 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Mine has an elf on the ramp exit that does the final detail after the tyre shine of polishing the chrome wheel nuts and sticks a chev badge on the transom.I notice it goes a lot faster down the freeway after that.

At my ramp. ?

C16D8227-5DC0-4E74-A1E3-F773F99D4BBA.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting.  I just use muffs for as long as it takes until I can feel water flowing through the thermostat for a few mins.  I'm. Close to the ramp so engine is still warm when I get home.  I had heard that revving the engine can cause it to over rev on its own and damage the engine. Not sure where I heard that.  I generally up the idle to 1000rpm to speed it up.  If I do this I notice that all the water from the muffs is being used how ever at idle there is excess water coming out the sides of the muffs.  Perhaps I should only run the tap half open.  

Interesting my tell tale is never warm not even if I flush for 20 mins.  Have tried to find a document on the Water passages of my mercury engine with no luck.  Does anyone know if this is a sure way of telling the thermostat has opened if the tell-tale is warm? 

I thought I'd mention it just because nobody else did, I've got a Merc four stroke and I don't even start it to flush it out. It's got a hose connection built into it, so I connect the hose when I unpack (insert beer here) and the motor galleries get flushed both sides of the thermostat. 

I like the idea 

my neighbors like it even better 

2 hours ago, 552Evo said:

I thought I'd mention it just because nobody else did, I've got a Merc four stroke and I don't even start it to flush it out. It's got a hose connection built into it, so I connect the hose when I unpack (insert beer here) and the motor galleries get flushed both sides of the thermostat. 

I like the idea 

my neighbors like it even better 

Most have that setup but the fact the engine needs to be running to open the thermostat which then allows warmed water to flush the entire cooling system. 

The hose connection doesn't flush the main internals of the engine head on most engines, sort of a half flush.

Just to add do you use cold water ? Warm water is needed to break down salt crystals ( something I can assure you is true from washing down underwater cameras and dive gear ).

Edited by JonD

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Most have that setup but the fact the engine needs to be running to open the thermostat which then allows warmed water to flush the entire cooling system. 

The hose connection doesn't flush the main internals of the engine head on most engines, sort of a half flush.

Just to add do you use cold water ? Warm water is needed to break down salt crystals ( something I can assure you is true from washing down underwater cameras and dive gear ).

Thanks Jon I'll double check that out re how much of a flush the Merc gets. Ha ha but no the warm water is reserved for the shower. That's a bit fancy having hot running water outside ? 

11 hours ago, 552Evo said:

Thanks Jon I'll double check that out re how much of a flush the Merc gets. Ha ha but no the warm water is reserved for the shower. That's a bit fancy having hot running water outside ? 

That's the thing when running on the muffs, the engine warms the water which all helps with the salt removal.

Heres a merc flush video, note he mentions warm for using the upper hose connection, your dealer should of explained this.

13 hours ago, 552Evo said:

If you want to flush with warm water in silent mode, and if you can run a hose from an indoor tap, say in the laundry or kitchen, you can buy a fitting from Bunnings for about $5 that replaces the aerator in your tap. You just snap the supplied hose connector on when required and snap on your hose. I have one in our ensuite (for cleaning the shower), one in the kitchen (for cleaning the verandah/watering plants) and one in the laundry downstairs (for washing the dogs etc). ? I don’t think my ETEC has the silent flush option like on the Merc, but if it does, I’d use it only on those late night arrivals at home, followed by a follow up full flush next day.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

If you want to flush with warm water in silent mode, and if you can run a hose from an indoor tap, say in the laundry or kitchen, you can buy a fitting from Bunnings for about $5 that replaces the aerator in your tap. You just snap the supplied hose connector on when required and snap on your hose. I have one in our ensuite (for cleaning the shower), one in the kitchen (for cleaning the verandah/watering plants) and one in the laundry downstairs (for washing the dogs etc). ? I don’t think my ETEC has the silent flush option like on the Merc, but if it does, I’d use it only on those late night arrivals at home, followed by a follow up full flush next day.

I don't know if that would flush all parts of the engine though, my understanding was the thermostat opens at a certain temp allowing water to flush all internals. As for the warm water and salt, put some salt in a cup of cold water and stir it around to see just how hard it is to dissolve, add a little warmth and it soon melts down. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, JonD said:

I don't know if that would flush all parts of the engine though, my understanding was the thermostat opens at a certain temp allowing water to flush all internals. As for the warm water and salt, put some salt in a cup of cold water and stir it around to see just how hard it is to dissolve, add a little warmth and it soon melts down. 

I don’t know either. I understood that the silent flush mode only flushed part of the engine and it needed to be warm. I’m 5 minutes from the ramp and I tend to I fish early morning and come home early to mid-afternoon normally. I don’t really need a quiet flush!

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

My 2016 115hp ETEC has the silent flush, I haven't used it but you screw in the adaptor into the back of the motor where the water normally comes out when running.

The silent flushing adaptor I have was taken from the kids multi water bomb filler, each packet has one and it is the correct thread and has no restrictor in it.

The adaptor must not have any restrictors inside and must be 3/8" or more especially if you plan to leave it in when running, it is a weird concept to push water into where it normally comes out and you must not have the hose full bore it only needs 10 - 15 psi to get passed the thermostat by pass and get through the small bleed holes inside the powerhead to flush. That's how the ETEC gets round the thermostat open issue.

The water goes down the leg to the water pump and out the drain holes and through the power head, the motor must be vertical when doing it and left vertical for 5mins to drain afterwards.

you can use Saltaway to help dissolve the salt when doing this silent flush

This is also only for certain sized Etecs something like 40hp to 150hp so check with your dealer before hand.

Edited by jeffb5.8

18 hours ago, 552Evo said:

My mercury manual also just says to use the flush point which is basically pushing water back in through the pee hole.  I read somewhere that this was mainly used for boats that live on the water and hence its not practical to use muffs....Not sure if it would get to all the passages but maybe, since the water is coming in the other way maybe the thermostat doesnt need to be open.

My dual flush muffs have the adapter built onto it i just unscrew it and screw it back over the telltale (pee hole haha)

Edited by Fishop

One thing i know is its always better to flush your engine,wash trailer,boat etc if possible before the sea water dries leaving caked on salt behind.

The easiest is washing/flushing all above at ramp on launch/retrieval.

Guest Guest123456789
22 hours ago, JonD said:

Seems odd using warm water on a hot engine when cold water is warmed by the engine anyway

On 7/26/2018 at 4:11 PM, jeffb5.8 said:

My 2016 115hp ETEC has the silent flush, I haven't used it but you screw in the adaptor into the back of the motor where the water normally comes out when running.

The silent flushing adaptor I have was taken from the kids multi water bomb filler, each packet has one and it is the correct thread and has no restrictor in it.

The adaptor must not have any restrictors inside and must be 3/8" or more especially if you plan to leave it in when running, it is a weird concept to push water into where it normally comes out and you must not have the hose full bore it only needs 10 - 15 psi to get passed the thermostat by pass and get through the small bleed holes inside the powerhead to flush. That's how the ETEC gets round the thermostat open issue.

The water goes down the leg to the water pump and out the drain holes and through the power head, the motor must be vertical when doing it and left vertical for 5mins to drain afterwards.

you can use Saltaway to help dissolve the salt when doing this silent flush

This is also only for certain sized Etecs something like 40hp to 150hp so check with your dealer before hand.

Thanks. I have a 2013 60 ETEC bought new in 2013. I’ll check the manual. In fact, I’ll ask my mechanic. I’ve got the boat in for some work on the electronics.

Edited by Berleyguts

On 7/26/2018 at 7:26 PM, flatheadluke said:

Seems odd using warm water on a hot engine when cold water is warmed by the engine anyway

No that's not what we said, I asked if warm water was used on the hose conecter, if running on muffs the engine warms the water. I also mentioned washing my underwater camera and dive gear needs warm water to remove salt. 

Guest Guest123456789
22 hours ago, JonD said:

No that's not what we said, I asked if warm water was used on the hose conecter, if running on muffs the engine warms the water. I also mentioned washing my underwater camera and dive gear needs warm water to remove salt. 

You didn’t use an example involving a cup of salt, cold water, warm water and solubility?

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

The easiest thing to do is ask the manufactures and mechanics who service them, there are dozens of dealers under one roof this week in Sydney. 

If you consider buying a secondhand outboard check to ask how they maintained and cleaned the engine to make sure it follows manufactures recommendations. 

On 7/26/2018 at 7:26 PM, flatheadluke said:

I think he means during a silent flush the motor is not on, hence cold water cannot be warmed to break down the salt. And thats why he recommended using warm water.

But during a full flush, the motor is on and running, thus you can use cold water because the engine will warm up the water.

• Like 3