About how to fish OZ salmon (need help)

Marmot

Hi Raiders/Masters, I've been Garie beach several times, and for the last two times, I was trying to fish salmon. However, I ended up getting nothing. I guess I have something wrong:

1) In the first time,  I used shimano 13' aero wave graphite heavy , and used running sinker rig--no fish to bite it (80g round sinker could not hold the bottom, and I didn't have the star sinkers). Before the final fish spree came (I could see salmons in the waves), I had used up all pilchards.

2) The second time, I tried paternoster rig and ganged hooks (3x 4.0 hooks), about the paternoster rig (based on 3-way swivel), 20cm line to the sinker,  60cm to the hooks. About the ganged hooks, the leftmost of the picture was the one I used without the sinker ball. No fish willing to touch my pilchards... I have been feeling frustrated since then.

I analyzed the situations:  1) People around me almost got at least one salmon (the second time), I think it's not about the position, and I could even cast further than others; 2) Sometimes the rig tangled, I guess the 3-way swivel is not enough. 3) Salmons usually bite fish from the head, so the first one in the picture is not suitable?

It has been haunting me for days, could anyone tell me how to fish OZ salmon and/or what I made wrong? Many thanks.

gangs.jpg

Edited by Marmot

G'day Marmot. Don't despair mate, Salmon fishing is NOT too hard but there are a few things that need attention.

Berley  Mix up some pilchards, tuna oil and bread in a bucket with some water and sand. Throw a handful into the wash now and then. That will help attract and keep feeding fish close to where you are fishing. WHERE TO FISH. You mentioned that you could cast further than others, but you don't want to do this. The fish usually feed in the gutters which are often quite close to where you're standing. The rig shown on the left of the pictures is the one which I have always used and it works. 3 gang hooks, the first hook through the eye and the others snug along the pilchards body will get the fish. I could suggest that sometimes salted pilchards can be a better option because they are drier and stay on the hook for longer. Don't worry TOO MUCH if the bait is moving round in the wash. Salmon will find it. Just use a sinker that will get you on the sand and not racing around in the wash. Low light periods are often better (early morning, cloudy days or into the evening). Hope you have better luck. bn

• Thanks 1

To add to big Neil's reply, there's always a place for a metal lure, like a Halco Twisty or similar in your tackle box.  It could have turned your first trip into a successful one, plus I'll regularly pull salmon and tailor out of holes on lures while the bait fishermen catch nothing. Sometimes the fish are just resting up in a hole and won't touch a dead bait but something moving will always grab their attention.

It can also pay off to prospect a beach by walking along it and casting a lure into the holes until you locate the fish, then start casting baits if you wish.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

To add to big Neil's reply, there's always a place for a metal lure, like a Halco Twisty or similar in your tackle box.  It could have turned your first trip into a successful one, plus I'll regularly pull salmon and tailor out of holes on lures while the bait fishermen catch nothing. Sometimes the fish are just resting up in a hole and won't touch a dead bait but something moving will always grab their attention.

It can also pay off to prospect a beach by walking along it and casting a lure into the holes until you locate the fish, then start casting baits if you wish.

Very good pointers there GH Cheers. He should be able to get some, armed with the info provided. bn

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

G'day Marmot. Don't despair mate, Salmon fishing is NOT too hard but there are a few things that need attention.

Berley  Mix up some pilchards, tuna oil and bread in a bucket with some water and sand. Throw a handful into the wash now and then. That will help attract and keep feeding fish close to where you are fishing. WHERE TO FISH. You mentioned that you could cast further than others, but you don't want to do this. The fish usually feed in the gutters which are often quite close to where you're standing. The rig shown on the left of the pictures is the one which I have always used and it works. 3 gang hooks, the first hook through the eye and the others snug along the pilchards body will get the fish. I could suggest that sometimes salted pilchards can be a better option because they are drier and stay on the hook for longer. Don't worry TOO MUCH if the bait is moving round in the wash. Salmon will find it. Just use a sinker that will get you on the sand and not racing around in the wash. Low light periods are often better (early morning, cloudy days or into the evening). Hope you have better luck. bn

Thanks a lot for sharing. Do you use running sinker rig or paternoster rig?

58 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Big thanks, I will definitely try it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

@Green Hornet Could you enlighten me of some lure rigs or one? Off the top of my head,  spin rod or baitcast rod + mono main line + snap swivel + lure (Halco Twisty 40g) ? Cast and pull back?

Last year, I cast a rig ( baitcast rod 2.1m + ball sinker-10g + bead + barrel swivel + leader + plastic prawn) at the northern end of Tom Uglys Bridge  and got a small-size tailor. I doubt this rig can work  on the beach.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marmot said:

Thanks a lot for sharing. Do you use running sinker rig or paternoster rig?

For surf fishing, a running sinker down to the top of the gang hooks is best. Holding the rod is better too, although it can be tiring, so a 2 -3 foot plastic tube with a pointy end should be pushed into the sand, to hold the rod. bn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Marmot said:

@Green Hornet Could you enlighten me of some lure rigs or one? Off the top of my head,  spin rod or baitcast rod + mono main line + snap swivel + lure (Halco Twisty 40g) ? Cast and pull back?

Last year, I cast a rig ( baitcast rod 2.1m + ball sinker-10g + bead + barrel swivel + leader + plastic prawn) at the northern end of Tom Uglys Bridge  and got a small-size tailor. I doubt this rig can work  on the beach.

If you're only going to search the fish out, the 13 foot rod you've got will be OK. The main problem with a 13 foot rod is you'll tire quickly if casting for longer periods. Assuming you're using mono and I don't know what strength you're using but that will probably get you started too. If its around 15-20 pound, perfect, I'd just place a swivel onto the split ring of a 60g metal lure, tie my main line to that and start casting. No need to worry about leaders.

Cast and wind back at a medium pace. If that doesn't tempt them try a faster retrieve or flicking the rod tip a little as you wind to give the lure a jerking sort of action. You can cast into the middle of the gutter, but don't move on until you've tried the edges too where the waves and the unbroken water meet. If the fish are there you'll know within 10 or so casts. If no hits, move onto the next gutter and try again.

If you're going to get into this style of fishing I reckon the ideal setup is a rod between 9 and 10 foot, a 4000-5000 reel (based on shimano sizes), 15lb braid, 20lb mono or fluorocarbon leader and lures between 30 and 50 grams.

Just for an idea one of my outfits is a 9 foot shimano coastal spin with a stradic 5000, loaded with 15lb sunline super braid. There's plenty of cheaper options out there if you wish and you can cast a rod like this for hours without getting tired.

The 2.1m rod you mentioned really isn't great for the beach, unless its really calm and you don't need to cast long distances.

I trust this helps get you started and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don’t forget that you can also work your pilchard like a lure, albeit a bit slower. ? The first rig in your picture should do the trick. 3 or 4 hook gang depending on the size of the pillies. Salted pillies will last longer. If you can cast good distances, just work the bait back towards you through the gutters and the wash. Often they will take it quite close in. If you get a hit and you think most of the bait is gone, let it sink - a nice bream may just pick it up. I don’t see the need for anything heavier than 12lb mono off the beach, unless you are targeting jew. If a Jew does hit, you still have a chance on 12lb line off the beach - there is not much to get reefed on... just take your time! It’s important to have a balanced outfit and remember, a heavier outfit can be tiring with repetitive casting. I prefer an Alvey over threadlines off the beach. That is just personal preferences because of their durability in harsh conditions... they can eat sand for breakfast. If using an Alvey, a quality swivel above all the terminal tackle is a must!

The Rock platform north of Garie also fishes well but be sure you follow all the safety precautions for rock fishing.

Tight lines!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:40 AM, Marmot said:

You all are so nice, I feel reinvigorated, just like recharged battery. Really appreciate every hint you provided.

Keep at it and you'll get them.

This is a great website for helpful advice. I wish it was around when I was learning the game (long before internet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1