The entrance

Tysh

Went for a quick fish at The Entrance plenty of small flatties around but managed one keeper. Went to magenta beach yesterday.  Managed three sambos and one trevally.(all released) However a group of Fishos also catching salmon would not release... 

IMG20180928171752.jpg

I’m a bit confused tysh. You caught salmon and trevally but that’s a photo of a flathead???

Also mate, people are entitled to keep whatever fish they like as long as they are not protected and of legal size! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice flatty, I take it that was dinner? 

I usually keep an Aussie Salmon or two if they're on and cook them up. They get a bad rap but I like them fresh on the bbq or in the more traditional fish cakes with potato if I have fussy friends coming over!

Nice flattie. Salmon can be pretty good on the chew if looked after. Bled and kept cool by burying in cool moist sand until you leave or better yet a salt water ice slurry. Fillet and de-skin when you get home. Marinated briefly in a little chilli flakes, light soy, ginger, garlic, sesame oil n chuck straight on the BBQ. Top with some coriander and a squeeze of lime and fried shallots... Mmmm.

Simple is great as well... Salt pepper and a touch of butter on a really hot grill (wrap in foil). 

A maltese mate of mine who learned to fish in malta suggested soaking in milk before cooking. I skinned the fillets, removing the dark meat and marinated them in a tarragon/little salt n pepper/milk marinade.

I poached the fillets in the milk which I used to make a white sauce.

Turned out pretty nice.

Goes well with other fish too.

Have tried flicking plastics for flatties in Tuggerah Lakes the last few days with no hits except one undersized tailor.

KB

On 10/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, Scratchie said:

I’m a bit confused tysh. You caught salmon and trevally but that’s a photo of a flathead???

Also mate, people are entitled to keep whatever fish they like as long as they are not protected and of legal size! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Sorry.. It was supposed to be a new topic....  Caught at the entrance 

On 10/2/2018 at 1:20 PM, Scratchie said:

Cheers scratchie!!! 

The edit has been done to reflect the flattie capture ;)

I had a cat who went bananas for the offcuts (red bits, belly flap etc). Like, jump to swipe them out of my hand. Kinda ambivalent about most other fish.

She's sadly gone and the two who took her place won't touch fresh fish or meat of any kind with a bargepole. Kids, eh?

• Like 1