No run no fun ??

GoingFishing

Weve all heard the no run no fun rule....and from a practical sense i can see how this works in tidal estuaries and bays and running current is easily identified.

Can someone with the wisdom shed some light on how this rule applies out in the inshore reefs?? 

Also. How does one tell if the current is running? How fast should the boat be drifting with the current and what other signs does one look for to know the current is running?

Any and all related info is welcome

When the current is tunning even a small amount it creates a pressure wave as it pushes up over a reef  fish sit on the face of the reef waiting for food to come to them  or they dit in the eddy created by the pressure of the water being pushed over the reef behind it and look for food items being washed off the reef     drift can be caused by wind not current  so i normally drop anchor uphill from reef and see which way your burley flows  if it heads toward reef  good  if its goin wrong way anchor on other side of reef....if wind and current are opposite  go someehere else cause its too hard fishing back under boat toward anchor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Every spot is different, I have one kingie spot that only fires when the current is hard from the north and another that only works when its coming from the south, there are services on the net eg Ripcharts that give very good info but the situation can change very quickly. its counterintuative but we only get warm blue water in summer off Sydney after a southerthly- lots to learn, keep notes about each of your spots and go from there

• Thanks 2

Some good advice from rick and paddyT. 

That term to me, is all about the current. The wind and tide will generally set your drift, depending on your location but the current is important for reef fishing! In my experience, I generally noticed bait stick harder to the structure and closer together with more current. The “no run, no fun” goes in hand with “find the bait, find the fish”. 

Current will also determine what side of structure the bait sits on. This is also worth noting in your travels. Sometimes it will sit at the front and then others times the rear depending on the strength! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 2