help with new landing net

Caple666

hello fellow raiders

im looking to get a new landing net as mine is on the way out. any ideas on a decent one thats not going to break the bank. not looking for a huge net but its still gotta be a decent size. any help would be appreciated.

cheers ✌️✌️

Berkeley Rubber -i have two on my boat, one for small fish like flatties, one big one for kings, dollies, they are gentle on the fish and dont tend to get hooks stuck very easily, more user friendly than the "envronet style"

Whether your fishing from a boat or land based could sway your decision.

If you're going to go for a rubber type net like the berkeley try and find a deep one. I had a berkeley and flathead use it like a bloody trampoline. Don't know how many fish I lost jumping out before I could get them over the gunwale. 

I like an enviro net for two reasons. First is I've never had the problem I described above and second no other boats can see what you're catching haha. Enviro nets do drag through the water more than the rubber types and can be a little harder to manage when fishing solo.

Thanks for the replys guys

I have had a look at both those nets

On 10/26/2018 at 9:29 AM, PaddyT said:

Berkeley Rubber -i have two on my boat, one for small fish like flatties, one big one for kings, dollies, they are gentle on the fish and dont tend to get hooks stuck very easily, more user friendly than the "envronet style"

I like this net but it does look a bit on the shallow side. Do you have fish jump out much?

On 10/26/2018 at 2:23 PM, Green Hornet said:

Whether your fishing from a boat or land based could sway your decision.

If you're going to go for a rubber type net like the berkeley try and find a deep one. I had a berkeley and flathead use it like a bloody trampoline. Don't know how many fish I lost jumping out before I could get them over the gunwale. 

I like an enviro net for two reasons. First is I've never had the problem I described above and second no other boats can see what you're catching haha. Enviro nets do drag through the water more than the rubber types and can be a little harder to manage when fishing solo.

This net is for my tinny. I am leaning towards the enviro net just wondering if the hooks get caught up in the net at all. I fish lures quiet a bit and dont want to spend all my time getting trebled hooks out. 

10 hours ago, Caple666 said:

Thanks for the replys guys

I have had a look at both those nets

I like this net but it does look a bit on the shallow side. Do you have fish jump out much?

This net is for my tinny. I am leaning towards the enviro net just wondering if the hooks get caught up in the net at all. I fish lures quiet a bit and dont want to spend all my time getting trebled hooks out. 

Dollies do but they bounce out of anything, they dont bounce out of the bigger one- environets are cumbersome and very difficult to use solo

• Like 1

Those environment nets are very hard to use. Its like trying to pull a bucket through the water!

I ended up giving up and just lift the fish in now, although I am mostly doing outside fishing, I guess when I have a go at learning the dark art of inside fishing, then I'll have to revisit it

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 9:03 AM, Caple666 said:

hello fellow raiders

im looking to get a new landing net as mine is on the way out. any ideas on a decent one thats not going to break the bank. not looking for a huge net but its still gotta be a decent size. any help would be appreciated.

cheers ✌️✌️

I have 2 nets on my boat. I use an Enviro style net (forgot the name) for most of what I catch. Fish and hooks don’t get caught up in it which I like. You can just tip the fish and hooks out every time like tipping out of a bucket.  It makes things alot easier. It’s harder to drag through the water of course, but I don’t find that an issue when landing fish. 

I have another larger and stronger framed tradtional style net for big or “prized” fish. 

Edited by Hateanchors
Addition.
  • Like 1

Don't know where you live but if Berala is not to far for you to travel I have a enviro net here that I could lend you for a month or so,  you could try it out and IF you like them enough to warrant the cost of buying one, have also other nets here you could try.

It would be a bugger if you bought one and didn't like it.

If interested PM me for address.

Frank

• Like 2

20 hours ago, xerotao said:

I use a bassaction net. 

Has a built in ruler feature that i find neat

i have seen these nets before and i must say the built in ruler seems handy plus there not that pricey. what size do you use? thinking i mite get the bream basket net as my every day net and maybe something bigger for when im going for kings and stuff

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Don't know where you live but if Berala is not to far for you to travel I have a enviro net here that I could lend you for a month or so,  you could try it out and IF you like them enough to warrant the cost of buying one, have also other nets here you could try.

It would be a bugger if you bought one and didn't like it.

If interested PM me for address.

Frank

cheers frank your a bloody legend mate but i need one for this weekend and im in campbelltown or i would take you up on that offer. thanks champ 

thanks everyone im gunna go check some out tomorrow but looking like im gunna get the larger enviro net for the bigger stuff and the bassaction for the bread and butter fish 

thanks again for all the input fellas 

1 hour ago, Caple666 said:

i have seen these nets before and i must say the built in ruler seems handy plus there not that pricey. what size do you use?

I grabbed the bream basket. As i just use it on my kayak. And the free delivery was a no brainer

• Like 1

The berkley rubber/silicone mesh nets are great. I've owned both them and environets and I much prefer the rubber nets. Fish don't get caught in them like a traditional net (though the environets they don't get caught in at all). But the main reason I prefer them over environets is they are much more agile & easy to use. They're lighter and have way way way less resistance in the water. When it's just you in the boat and your trying to steer a big fish towards the net on light gear whilst extending out to net the fish, having something that freely moves through the water can make all the difference when landing the fish. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xerotao said:

I grabbed the bream basket. As i just use it on my kayak. And the free delivery was a no brainer

sweet looks like the go for me to as i do a bit of kayak fishing as well ?

2 hours ago, macca02 said:

The berkley rubber/silicone mesh nets are great. I've owned both them and environets and I much prefer the rubber nets. Fish don't get caught in them like a traditional net (though the environets they don't get caught in at all). But the main reason I prefer them over environets is they are much more agile & easy to use. They're lighter and have way way way less resistance in the water. When it's just you in the boat and your trying to steer a big fish towards the net on light gear whilst extending out to net the fish, having something that freely moves through the water can make all the difference when landing the fish. 

hmmmm i do most of my fishing solo so this does worry me a bit. the enviro nets seem ok  but i cant help feel like it would be like trying to land a fish in a bucket rather than a net dragging it through the water. do you have any issues landing fish with the berkley rubber and what size do you use??

3 hours ago, Caple666 said:

sweet looks like the go for me to as i do a bit of kayak fishing as well ?

hmmmm i do most of my fishing solo so this does worry me a bit. the enviro nets seem ok  but i cant help feel like it would be like trying to land a fish in a bucket rather than a net dragging it through the water. do you have any issues landing fish with the berkley rubber and what size do you use??

I have a regular sized one -  though i'd probably consider the larger (think they call it a snapper net) one purely for the bigger/deeper sized net in case you get a big flathead or mulloway.

I haven't had a fish bounce out (yet), but for bigger flathead there's been times where it feels like its been close when they've started going crazy.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 12:01 PM, macca02 said:

I have a regular sized one -  though i'd probably consider the larger (think they call it a snapper net) one purely for the bigger/deeper sized net in case you get a big flathead or mulloway.

I haven't had a fish bounce out (yet), but for bigger flathead there's been times where it feels like its been close when they've started going crazy.

thanks for the info bud much help ?✌️