Prep An Old Rod For A Rebuild

appoooh

I've got an old rod with rusted out guides that I intend on rebuilding (or at least have someone do it for me). Before I go ahead I want to strip off of the old guides and reel seat.

Is there a recognised technique for this? What sort of solvent should I use to dissolve the epoxy?

Cheers!

No solvent necessary apooh.

Take a razor blade / stanley knife, and strip the epoxy away from the guide feet (ie use the feet of the guide to protect the blank from the blade). You will then be able to peel off the rest of the epoxy with your fingernails. A very light rub with fine steel wool usually removes the dregs. You can run a blade along the blank but be very careful not to nick the blank, as this will produce a weak spot.

You may need to slightly heat the tip to remove it (if it has been glued on). Don't overheat as this will wreck the blank. If heat doesn't work, you may need to file it off. Go slow!

Most grips will come up like new with some soap and warm water. Cork sometimes need a rub with very fine grit sandpaper.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ken

i'd advise against steel wool treatment - as it will also scratch the blank.

if you are happy with the guide spacings on the rod, you could just rebind the new guides in the same spot, taking care to cover up the old, unremoved patches of epoxy with the overbind.

the tip will come off with heating if it has been glued on with superglue, but won't if done with araldite.