Kingies In The Hawkesbury

Mondo Rock

Hi Raiders

I was just checking out another Sydney fishing site (that's a BAD Mondo) and read a report from Tuesday of this week that quoted Pete Le Blang as saying that 'haulers in long punt boats' have recently been coming into Pittwater at night and have decimated the poulation of big Kingies. :1badmood:

Has any Raiders heard or seen anything about this?

Please tell me it aint so!!!

Mondo

Well they may not have used nets I guess - to be honest I don't know what a 'hauler' in a 'long punt boat' actually is - I just assumed it had something to do with netting or somehow harvesting the fish in big numbers.

Hope I'm not just creating a mountain out of a molehill here, but me and my fishing buddy are about to purchase a beautiful Quinnie for use around Pittwater/Broken Bay and I was really looking forward to chasing big kings. It'd be shit if they were all gone.

Speaking of my fishing buddy - he just sent me this photo from our recent trip up to the Liverpool river in Arnhemland. Thought I'd post it cause it's such a great fish, even though it has nothing to do with this topic!!

See ya's

Mondo

Not sure if the target was kingies or bait, but i saw a pros in a 4.5-5m centre console hand hauling a net at west head on tuesday bout sunrise.

Unfortunately i didn't see the catch as they were a bit away from me when they finished and the bottom of the net came up on my blindside.

Until i saw this i thought a net could not be used in this sort of terrain.

Does anyone one know what the target would have been.

Fishing midweek can be a bit of an eye opener as far as pro numbers and fishing locations go.

Hi Raiders

I was just checking out another Sydney fishing site (that's a BAD Mondo) and read a report from Tuesday of this week that quoted Pete Le Blang as saying that 'haulers in long punt boats' have recently been coming into Pittwater at night and have decimated the poulation of big Kingies. :1badmood:

Has any Raiders heard or seen anything about this?

Please tell me it aint so!!!

Mondo

hey mondo,

i read the same thread the other day and was pissed to say the least............

I've been out with pete on his charter and he was saying it happens all the time in pittwater. It's a real shame, and the same mongrels have a cry when the area doesnt fish as well for them as it did 10-15 years ago. My misius and i were on a houseboat last summer for a week and saw at least 4-5 pro boats a day in the hawkesbury. (We didnt catch a thing - probably wasnt all their fault) The worst of it is you go to the fish markets and see jewies that dont even pass for 40cm........ what a joke......

Edited by youon?

Guest hottuna

The worst of it is you go to the fish markets and see jewies that dont even pass for 40cm........ what a joke......

those jews are farmed and very dark grey.

dan

its also the prawn trawlers,(i think they are anyway)there always there doing a run from flint and steel up half way to akuna and back again and across to juno.you dont see them on the weekend but go out midweek and youul see them for sure.but what are we going to do about.i cant see them going for a long time yet with the way fisheries and the government seem not to be worried that these 'sustainable' fishing practises have a low impact on stocks.just follow one round for a while and see what the off catch is and youll never use hawksbury prawns as bait again.baby bream,snapper,flatties.you name it its usually in the wash of these 'sustainable techniques' after the nets are soughted.really makes you wonder why you pay a license fee dosent it,after what was promised at the begining and whats been done(with the exception of botany). :1badmood:and another day on pittwater trolling with the downrigger with live sqiud in the usual spots for f@#$ all.dont you love it.

Edited by brettoes

so you basically cant use any net except for scoops so how can the prawn trawlers still do what there doing or was i seeing something i wasnt supposed to??? and its a bit technical dont you think.i like the clause of schedule 10 so its out of mind out of sight for the weekend angler but the pros through the week they can do as they please.or am i reading it wrong.

Edited by brettoes

From what i understand pro's are basically banned on the weekends and public holidays and allowed to hit these waters during the week during the hours stated.

Seems the Basin area is pro free based on these regulations at all times though