Is the www killing it for "oldies"?

big Neil

Hey thanks for the input everybody. Some really good feedback. Just got back from Canberra today and had a lovely time with family. Some great food and drinks and a real chill out time, except for the daughter and her husband who worked tirelessly so that everyone had a great time.

Knot tying report: The 4 grandkids who were there (3 boys, 1 girl) had so many presents between them that it was hard to get them to focus on my well-laid plans. Their parents are extremely busy professional people and so fishing is something done with Poppy or on holiday with their folks. Alas, my estimation of the timing was a little pre-emptive, mainly based on them catching Carp and Murray Cod when they visit my wife and me. I (wrongly) assumed that they had done some reasonable amount of fishing this year. Anyway, not to bother. I had a casting competition where they all improved and claimed prizes for every 10 points they accumulated. No hooks involved but quite a lot of sinkers lost in the bushes and over the neighbours' fences. Knot tying is probably a bit too challenging with their limited opportunity to go fishing. They had quite a few laughs and improved their casting capabilities. One of the things which I learned is that there is no shortcut to gaining experience and the other is that I need to teach one son - in - law and one daughter knot tying. They can then pass the information to their respective kids when the opportunity presents. Meanwhile, I shall keep plugging away by taking them fishing whenever they visit here. Cheers, bn

• Like 4

That's the problem mate,kids get that many presents that you could take 80% off them when they aren't looking and they wouldn't even realize. They just rip the wrapping off as quick as they can placing the gift beside them waiting for the next hundred to do the same with.

Our nieces and nephews are the same and i see it as a real shame as the gifts have lost all meaning when it turns to that.They will be lucky if they play with some gifts for a couple of hours before they're never seen again.

As for knot tying they would probably forget the knots you taught them by the time they got out to practice them.

Glad you enjoyed your time with them mate and if next year goes by as quick as this year you'll blink twice and be doing it all over again.

Cheers. 

• Like 1

Good on you Neil, years down the track I bet your name will be mentioned as “My Pop used to take me fishing on the Bidgee when I was a Kid, it was great fun and we caught all these fish”

I bet they think fondly of those times and no one can take those precious memories away from them.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately we live in a world now where ones ego and ability to google something is a lot more easier then respecting someones wisdom. 

There are a lot of people that a willing to learn as well, how ever people of all ages I notice don't just take your word for it.

Confidence is another thing to.

7 hours ago, JA1990 said:

Unfortunately we live in a world now where ones ego and ability to google something is a lot more easier then respecting someones wisdom. 

There are a lot of people that a willing to learn as well, how ever people of all ages I notice don't just take your word for it.

Confidence is another thing to.

You make a couple of good points there JA  (Josh). I am very "old school" when it comes to the hierarchical structure of Society and one thing that irks me is the lack of respect displayed in today's society. This extends to people and property alike. Alas, I still believe that experience comes from time, not cyberspace. Of course, for every example, there is an exception. I would be the first to admit that I don't know everything but would like to believe that I know a bit more than somebody who is a tenth of my age. Maybe I don't?

Anyway, enough of being morose, 'tis the wrong time of year for such thoughts. Cheers, bn

Howdya go in sunny Canberra Neil?

On 12/21/2018 at 10:04 AM, big Neil said:

Thanks Toilor. You obviously live in the ACT, do you know of an area I could try for Redfin? Cheers, bn

I lived in CBR until 12 months ago mate now I'm in Jervis Bay, back for chrissie though, watch out trout!! Behind the museum and Black mountain peninsula are Reddie hot spots. Keep moving until you find a school. I use no. 3 sized celta type (dont buy celta as they do not spin since being made in Thailand not france) with red best. Also consider Kambah Pool or Urriarra on the 'bidgee, plenty of shrimp for the bucket and loads of carp plus yellas and cod

• Thanks 1