Squid rig

locodave

Hi!

Been trying squidding in Sydney Harbour and doing ok. Just wondering about the rig. I ran a ball sinker to the swivel and then a 50cm fluro carbon leader. 

Just wondering if it's best for the lure to work on it's own with it's given weight? I just feel it takes forever to reach the bottom.

Unless u r fishing in over 5m of water. No sinker required, 2.5 or 3.0 will get down in 7 - 14 seconds depending on the current, jig size and wind , u need as much action as possible on the jig, touchin the weed beds on the way down and then jigging up as if the prawn has darted out of the ribbon grass. If there is a squid around he will find your jig. Good luck and most importantly cover as much ground until u find one . 

In deeper water if I run a ball sinker I don’t use the swivel I just run the sinker to squid jig.   The swivel is just another spot to get snagged.

Also a sea anchor can help slow the drift to get the jigs in the right zone. 

Edited by Welster
Typo

When squidding or drifting for flatties I often leave rod in holder with 2 squid jigs off a posternoster rig.  Size of sinker on bottom varies with depth of water and speed of drift.  This works in 4 to 15 metres or more.  Ron 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, campr said:

When squidding or drifting for flatties I often leave rod in holder with 2 squid jigs off a posternoster rig.  Size of sinker on bottom varies with depth of water and speed of drift.  This works in 4 to 15 metres or more.  Ron 

So no swivel?